Ph at 8.8

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
Phillyfig8
Puffer Fry
Location (country): PHILLY

Re: Ph at 8.8

Post by Phillyfig8 »

he has been in that tank since august so if he doesnt feel at home now i dont think he ever will. i believe he is p. variabilis. that is probably the best match i could find using that mudskipper species. When i had two i think i had a male and female. one was dark and the other was reddish and there undersides were slightly different. too bad the one committed suicide and i cant get the same species because the store i got them from went out of business.
polgy70
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Malaysia

Post by polgy70 »

Phillyfig8 wrote:
j_wishbone wrote:can you further elaborate why sand is not appropriate?

is it due to its inability to hold the shape of burrows?
Generally mud in an aquarium is not a good idea. Some people can get away with it but you have to have the right mud. Sand is fine but it has to be really fine sand. Mine is more fine then sugar. Since the mudskipper spends 99% of the time with its belly touching the sand you dont want him to get all scraped up.

Mudskippers cannot dig burrows in sand. They would collapse. Nonetheless, they can obviously survive without burrowing... just as a horse can survive without running, or a seagull without flying, or a human without.... ?
I can't understand why mud "is not a good idea" for mudskippers, apart from the obviously murky water. You won't be able to see inside water... but who cares when your fish is amphibious? I used pottery clay, fluvial mud, and intertidal mud, always with success. Of course, if it comes from a natural mudbank it should be treated properly prior to use: I use hydrogen peroxide to reduce risks of contamination (toxicants, pathogens, etc.); this chemical does not leave any residues, as the excess reacts with organic matter or leaves water. If it's not intertidal, it should also be mixed with brackish water. Conversely, pottery clay should be organically enriched.

Cheers,
Gianluca
http://www.themudskipper.org

O___!||||__/////__
{__)_\
Phillyfig8
Puffer Fry

Post by Phillyfig8 »

what kind of filtration do you have? i feel like mud would clog the filter.
j_wishbone
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: toadfish
Location (country): Australia

Hole in the ground

Post by j_wishbone »

He created a hole in the sand not quite a tunnel but he loves to jump and hide in it when I come around...

I have placed rocks underneath the sand, which has created some small gaps and space... the opening has not kept its shape due to the sand being unstable (duh!)

But ... its a good enough hiding spot to the skipper to feel safe .....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phillyfig8
Puffer Fry

Post by Phillyfig8 »

Be careful if it collapses then you will have a dead skipper
j_wishbone
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: toadfish
Location (country): Australia

Post by j_wishbone »