Converting Gsp to Brackish (need guidance)

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
Blondie
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer
Location (country): America

Converting Gsp to Brackish (need guidance)

Post by Blondie »

I've had a gsp for about a week now and I adore him. He's almost 2 inches and currently resides in a freshwater tank. I've been doing some extensive research on how to properly acclimate a freshwater gsp to brackish. I've watched a how-to guide on instant ocean salt (which helped me compose the following list) and read on various sites, including this one. I've complied a list of the supposed steps in an attempt to help me understand the process more. I really need an expert to revise this for me because I'm a novice when it comes to brackish/marine tanks. I really want to do this right, because I don't want to hurt my puffer in the process. I'll be very grateful for any help.

Mandatory items:

1. Instant Ocean Salt
2. Hydrometer

Steps:

1. Mix marine salt with water in a bucket. (may need Instant Ocean conditioner prior
to mixing to neutralize tap water chlorine in the water)

2. To prepare small quantities, use 1/2 cup of Instant Ocean per each gallon of water.
It is suggested that that water is allowed to aerate prior to use for best results.

3. Measure specific gravity with hydrometer. If specific gravity is too low, add more
salt; if too high, add more water. I read that an adequate specific gravity level for
a gsp is 1.010 to 1.015 - is that correct?

4. Add one cup of marine salt per week. More specifically, add 2 tablespoons of
marine salt per day. (1 cup is approximately 16 tablespoons)
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Re: Converting Gsp to Brackish (need guidance)

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Blondie wrote:I've had a gsp for about a week now and I adore him. He's almost 2 inches and currently resides in a freshwater tank. I've been doing some extensive research on how to properly acclimate a freshwater gsp to brackish. I've watched a how-to guide on instant ocean salt (which helped me compose the following list) and read on various sites, including this one. I've complied a list of the supposed steps in an attempt to help me understand the process more. I really need an expert to revise this for me because I'm a novice when it comes to brackish/marine tanks. I really want to do this right, because I don't want to hurt my puffer in the process. I'll be very grateful for any help.

Mandatory items:

1. Instant Ocean Salt Doesn't need to be instant ocean it just has to be marine salt.
2. Hydrometer refractometers are more accurate but also more expensive.

Steps:

1. Mix marine salt with water in a bucket. (may need Instant Ocean conditioner prior
to mixing to neutralize tap water chlorine in the water) Tap water conditioner is required
2. To prepare small quantities, use 1/2 cup of Instant Ocean per each gallon of water.
It is suggested that that water is allowed to aerate prior to use for best results. tablespoons and cups are crude measurement tools and are only a guide, a hydrometer or refractometer will be required for accurate results. Aerating the water helps the salt to mix.

3. Measure specific gravity with hydrometer. If specific gravity is too low, add more
salt; if too high, add more water. I read that an adequate specific gravity level for
a gsp is 1.010 to 1.015 - is that correct? SG1.010 is adequate for a GSP but most people on this forum will tend to recommend marine conditions.

marine salt per day. (1 cup is approximately 16 tablespoons)Salt won't evaporate into the atmosphere therefore you will only need to add it at your weekly water change. Adjust the salinity by no more than SG0.002 at each water change so that the bacteria in your filter is not killed off by the salinity swing
Additionally: because salt doesn't evaporate away with your water you will need to keep an eye on your tank water levels and if there is a lot of evaporation you my need to do a freshwater top up betwen water changes to stop the water becoming too salty - more relevant in open topped tanks.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Right in the forum you posted: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Blondie
Puffer Fry

Post by Blondie »

@Pufferpunk; I saw it, it's helpful. But I thought different steps would apply because my puffer is already in an established freshwater tank, and I needed to know particularly how to convert a freshwater gsp to brackish. I'm susceptible to make a mistake and I was seeking specific details of the process because I'd be shattered if I hurt my puffer. I guess I was confused. Thank you, and sorry.
Iliveinazoo wrote:
Blondie wrote:I've had a gsp for about a week now and I adore him. He's almost 2 inches and currently resides in a freshwater tank. I've been doing some extensive research on how to properly acclimate a freshwater gsp to brackish. I've watched a how-to guide on instant ocean salt (which helped me compose the following list) and read on various sites, including this one. I've complied a list of the supposed steps in an attempt to help me understand the process more. I really need an expert to revise this for me because I'm a novice when it comes to brackish/marine tanks. I really want to do this right, because I don't want to hurt my puffer in the process. I'll be very grateful for any help.

Mandatory items:

1. Instant Ocean Salt Doesn't need to be instant ocean it just has to be marine salt.
2. Hydrometer refractometers are more accurate but also more expensive.

Steps:

to mixing to neutralize tap water chlorine in the water) Tap water conditioner is required
It is suggested that that water is allowed to aerate prior to use for best results. tablespoons and cups are crude measurement tools and are only a guide, a hydrometer or refractometer will be required for accurate results. Aerating the water helps the salt to mix.

a gsp is 1.010 to 1.015 - is that correct? SG1.010 is adequate for a GSP but most people on this forum will tend to recommend marine conditions.

marine salt per day. (1 cup is approximately 16 tablespoons)Salt won't evaporate into the atmosphere therefore you will only need to add it at your weekly water change. Adjust the salinity by no more than SG0.002 at each water change so that the bacteria in your filter is not killed off by the salinity swing
Additionally: because salt doesn't evaporate away with your water you will need to keep an eye on your tank water levels and if there is a lot of evaporation you my need to do a freshwater top up betwen water changes to stop the water becoming too salty - more relevant in open topped tanks.
This has helped profusely. Thank you so much. I'd like to acclimate my puffer to marine eventually. When would be the ideal time to do that?
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Glad to help :D

It's historically been suggested to move higher through the salinity ranges as your puffer ages and there's a good write up by Pufferpunk here:
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/

There is a big long post here that also discusses it: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15647
Blondie
Puffer Fry

Post by Blondie »

This is everything I need to know. Your posts have been so helpful. Thank you so much!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Blondie wrote:@Pufferpunk; I saw it, it's helpful. But I thought different steps would apply because my puffer is already in an established freshwater tank, and I needed to know particularly how to convert a freshwater gsp to brackish. I'm susceptible to make a mistake and I was seeking specific details of the process because I'd be shattered if I hurt my puffer. I guess I was confused. Thank you, and sorry.
Yes, that's exactly the procedure for your application.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Mc_Puffin
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1 30gl tank!
Location (country): USA

Post by Mc_Puffin »

This was a lot of help! Plus the formula on the other discussion page. I'm not as nervous now to start the bw conversion with my next water change. My lil ball of fun is almost about 2inches so I will start the process in about a week when I clean his home! Thx guys. I'm glad I found this web forum an joined it because other info on the web told me to add 2 tablespoons of marine salt daily. Now I know I can just wait for the weekly water change! Love this forum, thx all.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Good to hear &
[welcome]