NLS Algae Gel / Repashy Super Green

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
TheStig
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: DP
Location (country): USA

NLS Algae Gel / Repashy Super Green

Post by TheStig »

Hi,

I picked up 2 Otos last week and they made short work on the algae in my tank. I have also been supplementing them with blanched veggies so they don't starve. They are super cute, but I worry about losing them after reading about their mortality rates online. There were many write-ups about people's Otos doing well for a few days to a week or so, and then finding them dead the next day. These Otos have been at my LFS for quite a while, with some DPs, and look well-fed and active so I decided to take a risk.

After doing some reading, I would like to supplement a more natural diet for them while I attempt to grow more algae on rocks.

Have any of you tried the New Life Spectrum Algae Gel or Repashy Super Green? If so, what are your opinions? If not, what are your suggestions?

I am leaning towards the Repashy, but am open to what others can share about their experiences keeping/feeding Otos.

Thanks!
10 gallon: 1 dwarf puffer, 3 Otos, 1 amano shrimp

Don't let your wet friend suffer - PufferPunk
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Re: NLS Algae Gel / Repashy Super Green

Post by Hillehaus »

Are their bellies rounded or sunken in? Have you seen the. Eat? If they are rounded and you've seen them eating chances are you will avoid any sudden mortalities. The experience I've had with the little guys is that if you can get the. Eating within a couple days of introduction and if your water parameters are within reason, you will be fine. Starvation is the main kicker for them (at least in my experience).

I've fed mine blanched veggies (zucchini and cucumber mainly) algae wafers (hikari brand I believe), and nori sheets occasionally. Nori is cheap.
TheStig
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by TheStig »

They have round bellies, and are usually busy sucking on the tank, driftwood, gravel, plants and blanched zuke/cucumber. I tried spinach and kale, but they ignored them. They are also constantly pooping. O_o They seem to be active and healthy, so keeping my fingers crossed that I won't lose either of them.

The nori that you mentioned... is it the same nori that we eat with sushi?!!

I did end up getting the Repashy Super Green. It arrived today, and I spread some on one of the rocks. The Otos absolutely love it. However, I put it "out in the open" and the male DP was immediately very curious about the Repashy. He was staring at it from all angles and watched the Otos eat it for a while. Then, he suddenly snucked up behind one, and NIPPED its tail!!! I could see where the chomp was. Ugh. Then he chased and nipped the smaller one that was sucking on the Repashy. I moved the Repashy rock to a more covered spot (next to the zuke actually), and the male DP ceased his aggression.

I ran out to grab a bottle of Melafix just in case. My routine WC & gravel vac is this weekend, so I am going to try keeping the water as pristine as possible for the tails to heal first before resorting to Melafix. Also, going to keep an eye on the male DP. He is quite dominant towards the female, yet has never showed any interest in the Otos or my shrimp. I hope it was just this one instance of aggression. He has slowly developed his male markings over the past month, and just last week, I could finally see his eye wrinkles. Maybe his testosterone is starting to flair.

Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Hillehaus »

It's pretty much the same stuff as sushi nori. Just make sure it is not flavored (cayanne, sesame, etc.) and unsalted.

I'd say if you are witnessing them chowing down and pooping that often that you are in the clear for sudden Otto death. I have no advice for you about the nipping. It sounds like you have a male that just has "the personality". It's pretty common. My DPs all left my ottos alone. Other people's, not so much. It may have been because you introduced a curious food source and it triggered territorial instincts. I think by moving the food to a more covered area you did right. Your tank is probably a tad too small but, a third female would chill him out a bit also. You might be able to get away with it because of your strict cleaning regement but, I'd be leery.
TheStig
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by TheStig »

How funny you mentioned it cos I considered adding a second female to the tank a while ago. The last shipment of DPs to my LFS could be sexed, so it had me thinking. But since it is a 10 gallon, I decided against it after sitting on the thought for a while.

What happened was, that male suddenly escalated his bullying, constantly chasing & attacking the female. Before, it was half-hearted charges during feeding times so I let them sort it out. I was ready to give the male back to the LFS when he interrupted his bad ways with courtship behaviours - shadowing her w/o aggression, gently nudging her, and 'herding' her towards the bottom.

He still chases her now and then, but it is no longer nonstop. Usually during feeding times... He is very dominant. He is a dark olive now... the juvenile pattern & colour are gone. I wish I took a picture when I first got him, because he looks very different now. It was very interesting watching his adult pattern slowly come in, made me feel like a proud Mama!

Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Hillehaus »

That's good to hear. I go back and forth in adding a 2nd female. While it would divide the males courting among the two, you run the bioload problem. Probably not worth the water quality decline of overcrowding. I think the best way to solve male aggression (in hindsight, as I no longer have DPs) is to either move the male to a new home, or add a ton of plants.