Female Tetra full of eggs ... now what?

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
IDPF
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Female Tetra full of eggs ... now what?

Post by IDPF »

I sat down to look at my 20l community tank and was watching all my little fish ... 5 serpae tetras, 2 swordtails, 1 kuhlies loach, 1 displaced long fin rosie barb. This is a fairly new tank, only few months old. I have been adding fish slowly. One of my swordtails died, I think she was being picked on by the serpae gang and I just brought the rosie barb home from my school tank because she was not getting long with her tank mates and all the rest of her kind were gone. As I was watching them I noticed that one of the tetras looked a little fat and looks to have, what appears to be eggs.

I have NEVER had this happen! Livebarers yes, but not a tetra. I am not sure what to do. Should I leave her there? Put her in a 5 gal? What would I put in the tank for substrate etc? How long do I have until she lays the eggs? Do I leave her in there with the eggs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and if she does lay the eggs in the tank she is in I assume that they will be eaten, would it be likely that she would breed again? Or other of the others would?