Plants for a dwarf puffer tank

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
rykahlove
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Plants for a dwarf puffer tank

Post by rykahlove »

I did a search and didn't really get the absolute answers I wanted... so I'm hoping someone has some good advice for me.
I really want to set up a dwarf puffer tank with live plants. I plan on using a 35 gallon long. I haven't been that good with live plants in aquariums but have kept them in my greenhouse turtle pond. I'm going to buy a light for the plants but don't know which one is best. I might buy a new filter or I might use the canister I have, I believe it's meant for 45 gallons. I used to use it in my 55gallon before my turtle moved to his pond. I've never kept puffers before either but I've read a lot about dwarf puffers. I was thinking about getting 6... because I am going to order them online and they said they can't sex them at such a young age but I'd also like them to feel like they have room. I also plan on having the tank running for around a month before I get them to cycle and make sure I can keep the plants alive. Is lighting all I will need for that?

What light and plants are best? I think I read they like to lay eggs in java moss... which is fine with me. :) I hope I didn't ramble too much I really want to do this right so any input is more than accepted.
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Re: Plants for a dwarf puffer tank

Post by G S P Freak »

I have wysteria (they love to sleep in it), anubias, and anacharis (easy and looks decent). I highly recommend all of them, very easy to take care of and they don't look half bad either =P. Should also be easy to find at your lfs.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP

Post by Welch4 »

The best plant I have ever purchased Aponogeton, Ulvaceus. I have one in my DP tank. They love to hide in the curls of the leaves, provides tons of hiding spots.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
rykahlove
Puffer Fry

Post by rykahlove »

Thanks guys those sound great! What kind of light do you have over your tanks? Anything special?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I've got tons of anubias for anyone who wants it.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Just about any true aquatic plant will work in a suitably sized tank. I us clusters of stem plants paired with clumps of Java Moss in the mid- to upper water levels to provide spawning sites for the DPs.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP

Post by Welch4 »

One the tank with the ulvaceaous just a 2 bulb t5 fixture non high output. Even with this it grows very fast and blooms constantly. The blooming actually has a sweet fragrance to it. Im the only one who knows of course. If you ask someone to smell your fishtank they look at you like you have six heads.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Jinty
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Scotland

Post by Jinty »

I just bought a lot more today thanks to this post. Let's hope they survive!