Water Change for planted aquarium?

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
alpo430
Puffer Fry
Location (country): philippines

Water Change for planted aquarium?

Post by alpo430 »

i have 16 gallon tank. with lots of moss, mini pellia and anubias. its been 2 months since i started this aquarium. nitrite and ammonia is zero. nitrate is below 10ppm. my faunas are 10pcs ember tetra, 1 dwarf puffer and about 10 pcs shrimps. i got my first dwarf puffer last 2 days ago.my DP doesnt eat frozen blood worms, but seems to have full belly. maybe the limpets are more tasty. the ember tetra are fed once a day a few bits of fish food. but the shrimps eat only algae.

Since my bioload is very small with the shrimps i do water change once a week 10%. with the newly acquired fishes(10 tetra and DP) will my bioload increase dramatically? do i need more water change? will my plants absorb the nitrates?

btw heres my tank to show how much plants are in it.
My stress reliever by alpo430, on Flickr
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Re: Water Change for planted aquarium?

Post by Arny »

Wow alop

Love the tree, ive been wanting to create a tree for ages but cannot find the right piece of bog wood to do it. Have you just turned a bogwood root up side down. What moss do you have growing on it?

Sorry I cannot help you with your questions but someone will answer them soon

Thx
alpo430
Puffer Fry

Post by alpo430 »

actually the tree trunk is made of plastic the one commonly seen in LFS. the leaves however are mini pellia. ive seen alot of moss tree why not try mini pellia :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
I would up to 20%
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Arny
Mbu Puffer

Post by Arny »

alpo430 wrote:actually the tree trunk is made of plastic the one commonly seen in LFS. the leaves however are mini pellia. ive seen alot of moss tree why not try mini pellia :)
Hey alpo, I dont suppose you have a link to the shop you bought the tree from?
Arny
Mbu Puffer

Post by Arny »

Hey Alpo sorry for going off topic but I just wanted to ask is either of these fake plastic trees the same as the one youve got?

A
$_3.gif
B
$_3-2.jpeg
Thx for your help :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpo430
Puffer Fry

Post by alpo430 »

thanks pufferpunk

i think the second tree is the same as mine. before using it make sure to glue the joints of the tree and tie it to a rock to sink. also i invert the leaves so i can plant mini pellia. i think moss will be good to use as well
Arny
Mbu Puffer

Post by Arny »

alpo430 wrote:thanks pufferpunk

i think the second tree is the same as mine. before using it make sure to glue the joints of the tree and tie it to a rock to sink. also i invert the leaves so i can plant mini pellia. i think moss will be good to use as well
Thx matey
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I am a bit confused - you say that the bioload is "very small", but 10 small Tetras plus the same number of shrimp plus a dwarf puffer is to me a moderate to high bioload, especially considering that the tank is lightly planted. I would suggest markedly increasing the water changes. Are any plant supplements being used?

The tank layout is quite striking and quite well done, but it does not to me look very well suited to dwarf puffer(s). Have you considered another tank, much more densely planted, for DPs?
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Somewhere I missed the tetras... I thought it was just the single puffer & shrimp (much better for this tank). 50% weekly WC then.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"