cherry shrimp has eggs

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

cherry shrimp has eggs

Post by Arny »

My cherry shrimp has eggs. will she lay the eggs some where or do they hatch on her?

Thx guys
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: cherry shrimp has eggs

Post by RTR »

The female carries the eggs until they hatch.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Arny
Mbu Puffer

Post by Arny »

RTR wrote:The female carries the eggs until they hatch.
Oh cool thx rtr :) I have her in a guppy breeding net.

I dont suppose you know how long it takes for them to hatch?

Will she or the other small shrimp eat the babies (the other shrimp are about 1cm)?

Thx again
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
nzac
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Minnesota, USA

Post by nzac »

iirc it takes about a week for them to hatch, been a while since i actually paid attention to this, i have a tank that is all cherry shrimp and never seperate the moms/babies, and the colony just continues to grow.
cherry shrimp will not eat the babies
Arny
Mbu Puffer

Post by Arny »

Thx guys
I just joined a shrimp forum called petshrimp.com and on there they say not to use water from the hot tap during water changes as hot water can get contaminated from the copper pipes. They say fish are ok using the hot water tap but shrimpare more sensitive to copper in the water.
Has anyone else heard of this?
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Post by G S P Freak »

Copper is poisonous to invertebrates, so it makes sense. If you have copper pipes I'd avoid using ANY tap water if you're caring for invertebrates.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Better to say that copper MAY be toxic to many inverts, and at higher levels to fish as well. Copper is actually required by both, but at low levels. Despite being quite old, I have never in my like had a copper hot water heater and I doubt seriously if anyone else has had such either. New copper pipe may dissolve enough exposed copper to be toxic if the water is quite acid, but quite acid water will also dissovle the pipes, so is generally buffered up enough not to be an issue other than with brand new homes or with homes where the old pipework has had to be replaced. Hot water heaters are generally glass or fiberglass-lined - neither of those is toxic. Quite old hot water heaters may have cracks in the internal coating and become rusty, but those are largely iron oxides and while the discolor porcelain, they are not very toxic.

If you live in older rental property, you might need some specialized filtration processes, which will push your water costs up to some extent.

HTH
Arny
Mbu Puffer

Post by Arny »

Unfortunately She dropped the eggs unhatched and I also lost the 2 stripped shrimp. Today I setup a new tank for just shrimp and put in the 2 that I already had and a further 8 different coloured shrimp. I just had a count up to make sure all 10 shrimp were in there and I noticed 2 tiny shrimp fry swimming around :D I don't know exactly where they came from, but I'm guessing they must've come in the same bag as the 8 adults I got today :)
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Mixing different varieties of shrimp in one tank can result in hybrids, generally with loss of color forms. Many colors forms are varieties, selected as are fish variants and bred selectively. If you want pure strain color forms, they really need to be in variety-specific tanks.