can you recommend any cold water fish?

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

can you recommend any cold water fish?

Post by Arny »

Hey guys I was thinking of seting up a huge tank but cannot afford to pay the massive electric bills to heat such a large tank. I was wondering if anyone could give me a list or cold water fish that I could keep. I know I could get goldfish and koi carp but was wondering if there are any other fish.
Thx :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: can you recommend any cold water fish?

Post by Pufferpunk »

I <3 my exotic GF!

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Arny
Mbu Puffer

Post by Arny »

Cool fish pp. Am I right in saying those fancy goldfish grow to 1ft in length?
Also what cold water plants can I get?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

No, it's the comet-types that grow to 1'. The round-bodied style of GF get a body about the size of your fist. Fin length depends on the style of fish you choose. I like to buy mine from Tomy at: http://goldfishnet.com/home.asp. Auction starts tonight!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Koi are not good tank fish unless the tank is the size of a room at least - they are very large fish and live forever if properly kept. Stick with the fancy goldfish.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Arny wrote:Hey guys I was thinking of seting up a huge tank but cannot afford to pay the massive electric bills to heat such a large tank. I was wondering if anyone could give me a list or cold water fish that I could keep. I know I could get goldfish and koi carp but was wondering if there are any other fish.
I've thought quite a bit about this recently and first looked into UK Natives but the cost that I would save on a heater would be more than made up for with a chiller so temperates are the way I might go with a heater just to keep the tank above 18 DegC, there are apparently quite a few fish that you could go for but I've only managed to find a small list so far:

1. White Cloud Mountain Minnows.
2. Leopard/Zebra Danios.
3. Florida Flagfish.
4. Rosy Barbs.
5. Some Tetras.
6. Some Corydoras.
7. Platies.

Not really looked into plants yet but here's a link to the website I would use to research.
Arny
Mbu Puffer

Post by Arny »

Iliveinazoo wrote:
Arny wrote:Hey guys I was thinking of seting up a huge tank but cannot afford to pay the massive electric bills to heat such a large tank. I was wondering if anyone could give me a list or cold water fish that I could keep. I know I could get goldfish and koi carp but was wondering if there are any other fish.
I've thought quite a bit about this recently and first looked into UK Natives but the cost that I would save on a heater would be more than made up for with a chiller so temperates are the way I might go with a heater just to keep the tank above 18 DegC, there are apparently quite a few fish that you could go for but I've only managed to find a small list so far:

1. White Cloud Mountain Minnows.
2. Leopard/Zebra Danios.
3. Florida Flagfish.
4. Rosy Barbs.
5. Some Tetras.
6. Some Corydoras.
7. Platies.

Not really looked into plants yet but here's a link to the website I would use to research.
Sorry mate I cannot see the web link.
Thx for the help guys :)
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Sorry probably forgot to paste it:
http://www.tropica.com/en/home.aspx
Arny
Mbu Puffer

Post by Arny »

Iliveinazoo wrote:Sorry probably forgot to paste it:
http://www.tropica.com/en/home.aspx
Thx for that mate :)
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Iliveinazoo »

You've stoked my enthusiasm. I found the following as possible for the temperate aquarium. Some tolerate colder water than others (some - the metallic livebearer and shrimp - only tolerating down to 20DegC) and some will also be incompatible.

Peppered Cory (Corydoras paleatus
Hillstream Loach (Beaufortia kweichowensis
Western Mosquitofish (Gambusia affinis
Metallic Livebearer (Girardinus metallicus
Paradise Gourami (Macropodus opercularis
Bloodfin Tetra (Aphyocharax anisits
Buenos Aires Tetra (Hemigrammus caudovittatus
Rosy Bitterling (Rhodeus ocellatus
Candidius Goby (Rhinogobius candidianus
Red Shiner (Cyprinella lutrensis
Weather Loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus
Black Bullhead (Ictalurus melas

Crystal Red Shrimp (or Crystal Black Shrimp, Caridina cf. cantonensis
Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda
Ghost Shrimp (Palaemonetes paludosus

I found them on this website http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Coldwate ... ertebrates but I've removed those illegal in the UK,far too large or those already mentioned. I wanted to include the list and not just link to the website in case the link changes because I'm going to bookmark this page.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I have experience with weather loaches, get big, extremely hardy and excellent escape artists. My last remaining one is in the in laws pond, must be around 20 years old and at least 10" long. Another fish that can't resist nipping me lol. Always swims around my boots when I am doing general maintenance on their pond, it's lucky I've not squashed it lol
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
LRU
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by LRU »

Cherry shrimp (and most neocaridinia species) are fine in room temperature or below. I kept mine on a window ledge getting direct sunlight and they bred even to December in Michigan, so relatively far north and probably 50 degrees F, and they were still doing great. Most species of crayfish are the same way. But neither of these need a huge tank. :)

Axolotls (mexican 'walking' salamanders) are perfect for cold water - they will breed and be happy even down to 32 F/ 0 C. Not sure about legality in your country though. Depending on your definition of huge, you could get a bunch of these in like a 120 gallon or similar. Maybe 8 adults (depending on the 'floor space' of the tank) or a lot of juveniles and grow them out.

There's lots of US natives that are fine at room temperature (especially in a basement) without a chiller. I would assume there would be UK equivalents of say the longear sunfish or such, which I can keep even up to 70 F/21 C. But I know your climate can be colder in certain regions, so perhaps my assumption is wrong.

Many of the Central American cichlids are fairly cold tolerant. Room temperature should be just fine for convicts cichlids and the like.

You can help a a lot with the heating situation by getting tightly sealed lids. Also, a device like a Kill a Watt is great for measuring actual electricity usage. If 80 F is too warm and uses too much electricity, gradually work down to 75 F, because most fish will be fine with a few degrees lower. They may not grow as fast, but they will not generally be harmed.