Why didn't snails reproduce?

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
sbc580
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Why didn't snails reproduce?

Post by sbc580 »

I bought some Ramshorn snails on ebay, and had them in a 5 gallon bucket with about 3 gallons of water.
I did not have any heater or light, but the room it was sitting in stays between 74-80F.
The bucket had a sponge filter and an air pump, and was filled with RODI water. Their diet consist of fish food flakes, spinach, and lettuce, fed every day.
They laid a bunch of eggs on the walls of the bucket, but none of them ever hatched. I bought 25 snails used to feed my GSP, and they were gone in a few months.

Why didn't any of the eggs hatch, what am I missing?
From my searches on here and google, it seems these snails breed like crazy and with very little effort.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Why didn't snails reproduce?

Post by bertie 83 »

Could it be the lack of trace minerals in the rodi water? We all use tap water with frequent changes for snail breeders
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

^
Yep.

My tapwater is very soft and my snails don't breed as fast as they do for other people. I do supplement with sodium bicarbonate, cuttlebone and oyster shells.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
sbc580
Puffer Fry

Post by sbc580 »

Thanks for the help. I'll try the tap water and some supplements my next go around.
Time for more ebay snails.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Good luck, I think you tried too hard last time. Lots of food and clean water is fine, if you need to supplement for soft water then do so
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Post by purplecandle »

I would add an algae waffer to that diet.

I used aragonite.

Clean water and a heater helps to. If you can come up to a 10 gallon for snail breeding if you want to produce enough snails for a puffer to have a steady supply.

I'm using a 20 gallon and have 100s of snails.

Don't feed your original generation of snails until you have enough young to reproduce.
sbc580
Puffer Fry

Post by sbc580 »

Thanks for the help everyone.
Do I need to add any instant cycling products to the bucket?
I don't think I do, but wanted to be sure.
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

If you will be keen on water changes don't worry too much, on a small water volume large changes are easy and quick to do. You will be rewarded massively if you do large upkeep on your snail breeder
Cinder
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Ohio, USA

Post by Cinder »

Are you sure the eggs didn't hatch? Ramshorn snails are very, very tiny when they hatch.
Algae wafers, green beans (canned, salt-free work great!) and fish food (flakes).
Please don't give up. It takes a few weeks for the babies to be big enough to be seen. BUT, you might see them sooner if you drop a green bean in the water for them. (I break mine in half lengthwise, so they can get to the soft inner part)
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

Cinder wrote:Are you sure the eggs didn't hatch? Ramshorn snails are very, very tiny when they hatch.
Algae wafers, green beans (canned, salt-free work great!) and fish food (flakes).
Please don't give up. It takes a few weeks for the babies to be big enough to be seen. BUT, you might see them sooner if you drop a green bean in the water for them. (I break mine in half lengthwise, so they can get to the soft inner part)
Old thread, but...I've tried many different scenerios: BW of 1.005 made them thrive. I also have them producing the most in a tank with crushed coral and aragonite as substrate. Heat is also a key.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Snails (at least Ramshorns and Common Pond Sails) do not need or require a biofilter. I have used large numbers of them to cycle tanks.

RO and/or RODI water are inappropriate for snails. They need/require all the minerals they can get. I can't say whether or not specific gravity of 1.005 is appropriate or optimum, but very soft tap water is very likely insufficient.

Not all plastics are fish and snail safe. If the container is toxic, they will not breed well if at all.

One snail species per container is best.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Cinder
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Ohio, USA

Post by Cinder »

Snails do best in ph of 7 or higher, hard water, 65 - 82 degrees (f), nitrates under 20ppm.