Misgurnus Escapades!

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
allycat
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 2 x DP's in planted 20-hi
Divine, F
Cujo, M
2 x Irrubesco in divided 15-long
Rogue, F
Probation, M (lorteti??)
1 x 2.5 in GSP in 10G 1.020
Merck, ?

Also kept: 29 G FW juvie loach community, soon to be 55G!)
10G Misgurnus tank
2.5G snail breeder
Location (country): USA-Indiana

Misgurnus Escapades!

Post by allycat »

I was feeding my weather loaches (who live in a tank in the basement of our house, where they stay chillier), so of course had the lid lifted when I lowered my eyedropper into the tank and my oldest/favored Misgurnus (Peaches) took offense to my gesture and FLEW out of the top of the tank and over the back onto the floor! We've had a lot of rain recently and while our basement isn't flooded, there is some standing water near a drain, OF COURSE right where Peaches landed! I heard the telling sploosh.

OMFSM I freaked and ran to grab a net/flashlight from upstairs, came back down... couldn't find her, could hear splashing somewhere... Also the 55G bowfront I'm still waiting to set up was sitting right there, and I had to move that behemoth all by myself (I'm 5'2" and 107lbs) before I could find the little fishy flopping around. Chased her into the drain and out again while I had a heart attack. I thought she was going to disappear into that drain forever.

She's back in the tank now with some Melafix... that was NOT my favorite water for her to swim in! All icky and basement-y... Hopefully she's OK. She was only out of the tank for about 5 min, stayed submerged in that nasty water the whole time. I didn't put her in QT (but I thought about it) because by the time I fished her out of the drain I just plunked her back into home because I was freaking and the 55G fell on me...

It's not cracked (don't think), neither am I! This hobby is such a freaking circus sometimes.
ask: is this suffering necessary or unnecessary?
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon
Location (country): USA

Re: Misgurnus Escapades!

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

WOW, glad all three of you are ok, fish you and tank lol

Sounds like that would have been something for youtube LOL
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

Quite the adventure!
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
My HD PVR
Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): Maryland

Post by My HD PVR »

Is it bad that i laughed?
Noobs, it takes one to know one.
allycat
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 2 x DP's in planted 20-hi
Divine, F
Cujo, M
2 x Irrubesco in divided 15-long
Rogue, F
Probation, M (lorteti??)
1 x 2.5 in GSP in 10G 1.020
Merck, ?

Also kept: 29 G FW juvie loach community, soon to be 55G!)
10G Misgurnus tank
2.5G snail breeder
Location (country): USA-Indiana

Post by allycat »

Update: Peaches and her friends ate heartily again this eve (always a good sign). The others were really interested in sucking on Peaches' skin upon reintroduction, I'm guessing b/c she smell/tasted like... hair, dust bunnies, and musty, dirty cement? :shock: :shock:

Tank params still legit, in case you wondered. I sure did.

I've got their smaller tank resting in the otherwise empty 55 now to prevent more mishaps. Russian doll Misgurnus...

@ HD PVR I'm a creative writing major--I don't mind at all if you laugh at my stories! I would have minded had that 55 busted on my leg..... Though at the time I was more worried about my little friend then the glass box! Such cool fishes. :love:
ask: is this suffering necessary or unnecessary?