New tank, debating on fish/plants...

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
landon
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 75g-3 Tetraodon Biocellatus-Grip,Fang and Wolf
Location (country): Ohio,USA

Re: New tank, debating on fish/plants...

Post by landon »

i didnt have to do anything to get them to breed they actually exploded and there were eggs everywhere on the sides of the tank.
I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence.
J. R. R. Tolkien
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Nine is fine for tank stocking, more could be excessive when the fish mature. I agree with the 3:1::female:male ratio also.

I really liked feeding mine live California blackworms via a worm feeder cone. Those and snails were their staple foods. Are they available in your area?
Where's the fish? - Neptune
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 9 DPs
3 Ottos
45 Gallon planted tank.
Location (country): Virginia, USA

Post by CaptainMorgan_SOS »

As far as I know, the black worms are not available in my area. I will continue to look though. I've got one store around here that is pretty good at getting you whatever you need, it just usually takes a little while though.
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Figure 8 Puffer
3 Ottos
45 Gallon planted tank.

So I fed them frozen blood worms today... they were on them like a pack of wolves. My wife said they looked like they were all playing tug of war. So now they are all fat and happy.
fugu99
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Herbie (Figure 8)
Otto (Figure 8) *deceased
Henry the Figure Eighth (Figure 8)
Other: Luna (Panda Platy)
Io (Panda Platy)
Ganymede (Panda Platy)
Ocelot (Albino Pleco)
Aramis (juvenile Red Wag Platy)
Location (country): United States

Post by fugu99 »

Hey, Im breeding snails right now too. Although I imagine if youve been patient you will have seen success already in your breeder tank, but if not, wow. But dont give up. My pond snails went crazy and I have a butt-ton of babies now. Maybe just give them some flake food or something fatty to munch (I like to give them a bit of algae wafer). Soon enough youll have snail explosion. But then you have to wait for them to grow up like me (*sob*). I wish theyd grow just a BIT faster. I call them bite-size now though. The puffs love them.

By the way you were right, the Gobys are very funny to watch. We got four, then my fiance got two more because theyre so adorable. So far, I have Gobys, Tetras, and some baby Mollies in with the Puffers. No problems with the lot. I think Im done too, no more fish necessary. Unless I choose to make my Tetra school a little bigger... but once the Mollies grow up, as long as they dont exhibit aggression with anyone, Ill have a pretty well full tank.

My tank isnt as pretty as yours, but its happy at the moment. Your tank looks absolutely incredible. The DPs are cute! If you end up getting any baby DPs, please post pictures! :D
"It is never easy, sweet child, to have a real gift: something else is withheld to compensate."
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Figure 8 Puffer
3 Ottos
45 Gallon planted tank.

I have always liked Gobies, they just always look so grumpy, which is awesome. And my snail tank has started to come along finally. Now when I look in the tank, the glass it just covered in snail eggs and baby snails crawling all around...
fugu99
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Herbie (Figure 8)
Otto (Figure 8) *deceased
Henry the Figure Eighth (Figure 8)
Other: Luna (Panda Platy)
Io (Panda Platy)
Ganymede (Panda Platy)
Ocelot (Albino Pleco)
Aramis (juvenile Red Wag Platy)
Location (country): United States

Post by fugu99 »

lol hopefully you have a better filter than mine. Even with the sponge filter in place the tiny snails tend to get through.. and when I change my filter cartridge its like a beehive, instead of scraping honey, im scraping baby snails from my filter cartridge.
"It is never easy, sweet child, to have a real gift: something else is withheld to compensate."
Lil' Swimz$
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Lorteti - Peaches
Location (country): USA

Post by Lil' Swimz$ »

Wow looks great! Especially the moss. I. Love. Moss. :hyper:
Ha ha, he he! DAncE whEn yoU're HAPpppy! He he he! DAnce, danCE, DANCe!