Feeding P. Diddy?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Faeth
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Valentini Puffer - "P. Diddy" - Three months and counting

Feeding P. Diddy?

Post by Faeth »

Hi all :D

I went out at lunch-time today and got some live short-neck clams as treats for P. Diddy (my Valentini). I've heard that you should partially crack the clam open so the puffer can have an easier time getting at it... is there anything else I should do? Also, should I freeze them before giving them to P. Diddy? Not sure if they're still supposed to be live when fed...

I've also heard to just give him the clam on the half-shell...

This will be my first time giving him a shelled meal, so not sure how he will react to it...
This is not a "hobby." It is a life-style.
bonnie3188
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bonnie3188 »

:o:o:o:o My Valentini's name is Diddy as well! And I thought I was so clever hehe! Its a cute name though.

My experiences with giving my tobies shelled foods is that they don't really attack it. They sort of pick at it and then loose interest. I end up opening it for them because I don't want the food to go to waste, and once its open they love it.

I'd say crack the clam open a tiny bit- I do it so the smell or whatever it is comes out of the food so they know its food. I'd say feeding them live would be fine, but if you bought a lot maybe freeze the rest so they don't go off, and then defrost them in water next time.

I'd love to hear how your Valentini takes to them, maybe mine is just lazy!

If you go to this link...
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/vie ... php?t=8600
you can see pictures of my fish trying to eat shelled food.

Hope this helps,
Bonnie
-Bonnie
Faeth
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Valentini Puffer - "P. Diddy" - Three months and counting

Post by Faeth »

Thanks so much, Bonnie! I loved that thread. You have beautiful fish!
This is not a "hobby." It is a life-style.