I got a valentini toby!

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
crazedpuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x Porcupine Puffer
1xValentini

I got a valentini toby!

Post by crazedpuffer »

I QTed him and he's been in my main tank for 2 days. He's already starting to recognize me. I'll try to get some pics up of him later. So far I have been feeding him mostly bloodworms and mysis shrimp and he has been picking at algae in my tank is that a good diet for him? Also will his teeth need to get trimmed?
OraLacerta
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Tetraodon biocellatus.
RIP: C. travancoricus, Chilomycterus schoepfi. Canthigaster jactator.
Location (country): USA

Post by OraLacerta »

I have read a few things about Valentinis picking at Coraline Algae. Maybe offer him some Nori to keep him from ruining your LR (if you have LR that is!).

Also, a tip Bonnie gave me for my Hawaiian Spotted Toby, bloodworms aren't good to feed to saltwater fish, only as a rare treat. I am feeding my Toby raw mussels, krill, shrimp, mysis shrimp, squid, SF Bay Emerald Entree and Marine Cuisine. There are also some stores in my area that carry frozen mussel cubes and other types of saltwater frozen fish food that (if available in your area) might help you add some variety to your puffer's diet.

Add some variety and give the Bloodworms as a rare treat, and your new Valentini will be well off. Do share pictures if possible! ;)
-Michelle

Prevent unnecessary deaths due to disease- quarantine ALL new additions at least 4 weeks in a separate tank before adding to your main display tank!

Puffers: Hindenburg the Figure Eight, 75gallon Brackish
crazedpuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x Porcupine Puffer
1xValentini

Post by crazedpuffer »

I don't have any LR but I plan on adding some soon (hopefully)
I'll try some of the food you mentioned and will his beak ever need trimming or will the foods keep his teeth short enough?

Thanks!
bonnie3188
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bonnie3188 »

I've had my valentini for over a year and i havent trimmed his beak yet. He doesnt really have noticeable teeth, Im not sure if its a species thing or just my individual puffer. I feed the same variety of foods as Michelle and he seems to be really healthy and happy.

Good luck with him, they are a really enjoyable puffer.
-Bonnie