Marine Stocking- 75 Gallon FOWLR

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
OraLacerta
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Tetraodon biocellatus.
RIP: C. travancoricus, Chilomycterus schoepfi. Canthigaster jactator.
Location (country): USA

Marine Stocking- 75 Gallon FOWLR

Post by OraLacerta »

Ok, for those of you who haven't been following my other thread (how dare you! ;) ), I have a 75 Gallon FOWLR (90 Lbs Caribbean LR to-be-cured) I am in the process of setting up. The tank still has a while 'till it's ready.
Here's the link to my other thread with the specifics:
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/vie ... highlight=

Right now I have a 3" Hawaiian Spotted Toby and a tiny (3/4") Yellow-Tailed Blue Damsel in QT awaiting their new home. Since the Toby is the reason I got into marine in the first place, the tank needs to be planned around him. Keeping that in mind, I have been researching different types of tank mates for him. I am the only fish-nut in my home, and as many of you have experienced this sad phenomenon, I'm sure you can sympathize with me. In order to get my husband more involved in my tank, I've asked him to pick out at least one fish that he finds really interesting so he will be more involved with the tank (i.e. not go crazy with all of the $$ I'm dropping into it!).

So, we went to my favorite LFS around here that has a lot of variety and about 6 reefs set up. We observed all sorts of angels, clowns, gobies, tangs, anglers, damsels, puffers, pilotfish, squirrelfish, etc. Of all of the fish we saw, the one that really got his attention was a 7" long Niger Trigger (Odonus niger). I had mentioned to him before that I thought they were pretty fish despite their large size, but he saw for himself how interactive and beautiful they are and he loved it. He didn't realize how large they get when he was falling in love with it in the store.

There begins my problem- the only fish my husband seemed enamored with was far too large for my system (oh the irony that he finally loves a fish, only for it to be one I can't keep!). So I've been doing my research, and found two Red Sea species that are rather small for triggers but are also 'peaceful' as far as triggers are concerned: the Blue-Throat or White Tailed Sufflamen albicaudatus, and the Melichthys indicus Indian Trigger.

The Albicaudatus is very pretty and is rather docile, its full size at a more comfortable 8" (not to be confused with the similar Xanthichthys auromarginatus). The Indicus is also quite handsome, more appealing to the Husband, but maxes out at 10" and I haven't been able to find much on its personality or availability and therefore I am much less likely to consider one. These were the only two that I found that seemed small-enough, the rest were 12" or more.

So, with the typically 'docile' Sufflamen albicaudatus in mind, and assuming it was a small & healthy specimen, would a trigger be an acceptable choice for a 75 gallon with a small Toby, a damsel, and hopefully: a tomato clown, a couple of clown gobies and a pygmy angel of some sort? Is this too heavily stocked?

The dimensions of the tank (48" x 21" x 18") seem very good for one of these triggers, but maybe I am mistaken. If a trigger is out of the question I need to try to find something else he will like just as much!
-Michelle

Prevent unnecessary deaths due to disease- quarantine ALL new additions at least 4 weeks in a separate tank before adding to your main display tank!

Puffers: Hindenburg the Figure Eight, 75gallon Brackish
crazedpuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x Porcupine Puffer
1xValentini

Post by crazedpuffer »

The stocking levels are fine but I'd be worried about your Toby. Even though those triggers are supposed to be peaceful I think there might be some aggression. I've never had a trigger though so they might get along fine.
OraLacerta
Former Staff Member

Post by OraLacerta »

Yeah, I'm not sure how my Toby would fare once this trigger would get 2X his size. The main issue I'm sure would be preventing aggression during feeding time.

I'm wondering if my tank would be too crowded for a trigger? I'm going to make lots of caves for my puffer to play in, but that still doesn't fix anything if there isn't enough room. I don't want a maxed-out system; I just want my Toby to be happy, and to have a bit of color in the tank. My hubby being interested in the tank would be a huge plus though.

Here's a link to WWM's quick fact article on Red Sea Triggers:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishe ... iggers.htm
Last edited by OraLacerta on Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Michelle

Prevent unnecessary deaths due to disease- quarantine ALL new additions at least 4 weeks in a separate tank before adding to your main display tank!

PuffTheMagicFishy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: None at the mo.
Location (country): California, USA

Post by PuffTheMagicFishy »

Maybe shift the caves to the back half of the tank so the front is clear? That way the trigger would have zooming room and everybody else could have their hidey-holes.
Tanks:
20-gal feeder breeder (platties and snails)
75-gal West African Lungfish + snails

Other pets: Pacific parrotlet, Italian Greyhound, lots of plants
OraLacerta
Former Staff Member

Post by OraLacerta »

That's not a bad idea. Everyone would know where the trigger would spend the most of its time and the less-active fish could play in the rockwork where there would be plenty of grazing and hunting for the puffer to do.

I was also thinking (my tank may not be large enough to permit me to do this properly) of making two different 'mountains' of LR with space in the front and the middle of the tank. That doesn't sound as effective as the other idea.

Too bad I can't find any threads or articles anywhere on mixing Tobies and Triggers (*hint hint* *nudge nudge*, anyone on here ever tried it?).
-Michelle

OraLacerta
Former Staff Member

Post by OraLacerta »

I am trying to convince the hubby to go back to the LFS with me in a few weeks to look again and see what new, interesting species will be there for him to observe.

With no conclusive information on whether a trigger& Toby would be compatible I'm a bit nervous of the idea. We'll see. Still, any advice is welcomed!
-Michelle

crazedpuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x Porcupine Puffer
1xValentini

Post by crazedpuffer »

My dad isn't really a fish guy but he loved my porcupine puffer. Too bad they'll outgrow your tank. Show your husband a pair of clowns interacting with an anemone see if that sparks an interest.
OraLacerta
Former Staff Member

Post by OraLacerta »

Yeah, porcs are adorable but I wouldn't put an 18"+ fish in a tank only 18" wide. My toby is just as interactive, and I named him 'Captain Kirk' because he is such an attention hog. ;) It's just that he's so small he doesn't win the battle of grabbing my Husband's attention, especially if the TV is on... :roll:

Maybe I could try to add another Toby someday. Valentinis get a bit larger than my Hawaiian Spotted and they are very colorful.

I think I'll see how interested the hubby would be in a pair of clowns. I love Tomato Clowns myself, so hopefully the LFS will have one or two of them in with an anemone next time. I still have the feeling they aren't going to be as 'flashy' to him. We'll see ;)

Thanks for the ideas!
-Michelle

GSPdragon
Dwarf Puffer

Post by GSPdragon »

Just wanted to wish you luck. As you know I feel your pain, my DH Craig is the same way... and since I'm a stay at home mom he really can get ... let's call it annoyed... with the time and money I spend on my tanks. He likes my aquapod reef well enough since it's "pretty to look at" but he doesn't like the 50g at all, he wants the few corals out and FOWLR but as for fish he isn't thrilled with my clown pair (my female is a gorgeous black & white) or the chromis... he wants " a bunch of small colorful fish " um... it's a 50g we can't have a bunch of anything, and if we could it would be gobies which he doesn't even like (I love gobies myself). I find it to funny that your husbands favorite is the niger trigger, that is Craig's also... I hope to use it to my advantage some day in the future to get a much bigger tank LOL

I'm getting my little GSP, however I still really really want a hawaiian spotted, of course if I put one in my 50g it would only be with my clown pair and then he'd really be crabby ::sighs::

Good luck finding something he likes, Craig also likes my purple firefish since he is always out in the open