toby

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
karol
Puffer Fry

toby

Post by karol »

hey guys i'm new to this site and i have just got a 100 gallon tank. I love puffers and i was just wondering if its possible to keep two Toby puffers in a 100 g tank
OraLacerta
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Tetraodon biocellatus.
RIP: C. travancoricus, Chilomycterus schoepfi. Canthigaster jactator.
Location (country): USA

Post by OraLacerta »

It depends on the temperament of the Tobies, but hopefully Bonnie will post something in this thread as she has 3 in her reef tank.
-Michelle

Prevent unnecessary deaths due to disease- quarantine ALL new additions at least 4 weeks in a separate tank before adding to your main display tank!

Puffers: Hindenburg the Figure Eight, 75gallon Brackish
karol
Puffer Fry

Post by karol »

i would but its not ready yet i'm hopin to start addin fishin about 3 weeks its still a long way to go but i want things done right.
OraLacerta
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Tetraodon biocellatus.
RIP: C. travancoricus, Chilomycterus schoepfi. Canthigaster jactator.
Location (country): USA

Post by OraLacerta »

It will take a while to get the tank cycled (unless you use marine bio-spira), and if you use live rock it may take 6-8 weeks for it to be fish-ready. Since it will be a while until you get your fish, it's a great opportunity to read up on different Tobies to see which ones are best suited for the set-up you desire.

Have you decided what type of tank you're setting up? Figuring out whether you want a reef or a fish-only system will affect your options for stocking your tank. Bonnie has her three in a reef without any problems as of yet, but puffers are a bit risky in reefs.

I'll link to her thread: http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/vie ... php?t=7305
-Michelle

Prevent unnecessary deaths due to disease- quarantine ALL new additions at least 4 weeks in a separate tank before adding to your main display tank!

Puffers: Hindenburg the Figure Eight, 75gallon Brackish
karol
Puffer Fry

Post by karol »

this is going to be a fowlr set up.
bonnie3188
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bonnie3188 »

Hi Karol,

I agree with Michelle that it depends on the temperament of the Toby. I started with a Valentini puffer and he was very docile, so I added a Papuan puffer and then just recently another Valentini puffer.

I'd say start with one, and see what his personality is like... also some tobies are said to be more aggressive than others. What ones were you thinking of?

Sounds like it will be a good tank, what are the dimensions of it?

Cheers,
Bonnie
-Bonnie
BubblePUffer
Dwarf Puffer

Post by BubblePUffer »

If you got cured live rock and live sands.. it shoudn't take that long to cycle your tank.. I got my tank ready less then a week cycled with cured live rock and live sand. The tank running for many years now and haven't got any problem.
Puff...Puff...Puff... Bubble Puffer on the way!!!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I wouldn't take the word of your shop that's the rock is fully cured though. Only if it's from someone's tank.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
BubblePUffer
Dwarf Puffer

Post by BubblePUffer »

My fully cured rock actually is out of the tank from a Home business from a display tank. There is fish and some corals in there and I get to pick my own rock. Most of the LFS here got fully cured LR that everyone to buy and most of them put on their Display tank at the store. If you know what you getting or buying and most reefer having no problem cycle the tank within a week using Live Sand and Live rock.
Puff...Puff...Puff... Bubble Puffer on the way!!!