Porcupine Puffers

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
FPANDMM
Puffer Fry

Porcupine Puffers

Post by FPANDMM »

Hi fellow Puffers
I new here the The Puffer forum. I do belong to other Reef Sites. I have a question. My girlfriends daughter loves the Porcupine Puffers. I believe they are the ones with the real big cool looking eye's. I have a reef but no shrimp because I have a Hawk fish and a small Niger Trigger. Will this puffer be Ok to add to my tank? I don't see where to add pic's so I added a link to my tank from another site. I hope that's ok with the moderators. There are 2 pages to that link.

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... 851&start=

Thanks

[/img]
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

Welcome. Not in a 95g IMO.
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
FPANDMM
Puffer Fry

Post by FPANDMM »

Can I ask why not a 95 Gal?
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

They get quite large at about 19 inches and puffers are very messy fish with a very high bioload. We recommend a minimum of 120 gallons for a porcupine puffer alone, larger if it is going to have tankmates. In addition, puffers aren't recommended for reef tanks.
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
bonnie3188
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bonnie3188 »

I don't think you should risk it IMO. I think you are already well stocked with big fish, and the porcupine puffer can get HUGE. Also, I agree with Boxermom that puffers arent recommended for reef tanks, especcially porcupine puffers. I currently have Canthigaster sp. puffers in my 135g reef tank, and they do no damage, but I do believe that porcupine puffers would be more harmful due to their more aggressive and innate 'hunting' nature.
-Bonnie
BubblePUffer
Dwarf Puffer

Post by BubblePUffer »

mostly puffer not recommended for reef because of the invert. I have porcupine with 2 Cleaner shrimp buddies for 2yrs now and few hermits.. they don't pick on your coral... when it get hungry might starring at your invert with the big blue eyes

As of aggresiveness, I am not sure about that.. I owned 2 Porcupine in a community tank. The one in my bedroom, the porcupine sleep with the clown fish.
Puff...Puff...Puff... Bubble Puffer on the way!!!