What diet feeding works?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
petebsbll
Puffer Fry

What diet feeding works?

Post by petebsbll »

Hey all,

Its been several weeks since I have been on here! Anyway since I got my large (12 inch) stars and stripes Puffer I have been very bad about feeding him a variety of foods. I have been sticking to just feeding him Silversides and Krill. I need to get some vegetables in his diet! I have tried several vegatbles but no luck.. He will bite them but usually spits them back out to then get trapped in my filter later for me to clean :( Its been a few months since I last tried feeding him vegys (I know its bad). I remember trying banannas, carrots, a certain type of lettuce, and green zuccini. Anyone have some suggestions for what works well that they will keep down and not spit back out to polute the water?

Thanks!!!

Peter
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

Peas are a very popular choice, and some will eat seaweed. Best bet aside from that is probably to gutload feeder shrimp. I'd recommend soaking the silversides and krill in vitamins first, and read the food article in the library for more choices. A diet primarily of krill is just asking for trouble.
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
petebsbll
Puffer Fry

Post by petebsbll »

Quick Update

I have not tried peas yet but I did use some Romaine Lettuce (spelling).

I tried this a while back on a veggy clip and he would bite it and then spit it out , well I tried it again today on the veggy clip and the first few he just would bite and spit back out but then he started eating them! He loves the lettuce and I will be getting peas soon, hopefully that will help get him a healthier variety in his diet. I also soak his krill and silversides in vitamins, I feed him about 20 percent krill and the rest sileversides. I have a brittlestar in my wet/dry that I hand feed pieces of krill he loves it!