Puffer - no apparent teeth / beak

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Ahoy
Puffer Fry

Puffer - no apparent teeth / beak

Post by Ahoy »

Hi folks, I have had a diodon holocanthus for almost 4 months and it has settled in well. When I got it, it had a prominent set of dentition but the last few times i've looked, it seems to be lacking anything and is not as able to shred the mussels and cockles I feed it as well. It isn't malnourished as I make sure it gets sufficient small pieces now.

My question is: why has this happened and what sort of timescales are involved in regrowth?

Thanks,
S.
Puffer Queen
Mentor

Post by Puffer Queen »

What were you feeding the puffer?
Can you post a picture of the mouth?
Kelly
Ahoy
Puffer Fry

Post by Ahoy »

It mainly got (thawed) frozen cockle and larger bits of shrimp from the marine mix blister pack. Also has eaten a couple of peas over the past months and sometimes I put cockle / mussels in shells (I crack them open first) in the tank.

Here's the best photo I could manage.

Thanks,
S.
Ahoy
Puffer Fry

Post by Ahoy »

Anyone got any advice for me?
Cheers,
S.
Puffer Queen
Mentor

Post by Puffer Queen »

Holocanthus usually do not have a prominent set of "choppers". From the pic, I can not see teeth nor gums. His overall appearance looks good.

If you are not adding any vitamins/supplements to the puffer's food - I highly recommend doing so to prevent vitamin/mineral deficiencies.
Kelly
manutius
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: RIP Clooney the Mbu :(

Post by manutius »

they look so cool
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

You could aways try to get it to bite you and see if you feel teeth. :ohyeah:
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
Ahoy
Puffer Fry

Post by Ahoy »

Boxermom wrote:You could aways try to get it to bite you and see if you feel teeth. :ohyeah:
Hmm, have tried to trick my other half into testing that possibility: no luck! I am not worried about its health, as it is lively and eats well. I just wonder whether it damaged them on something? Of course, it could simply be that when I got it, it had been neglected and the teeth were overgrown and i'm now just noticing the difference.

I've taken on board the vitamin / mineral advice and will, more regularly, add garlic, zoe marine, phyto to the feeds. Mineral levels in the tank are optimal.

Cheers,
S.
Puffer Queen
Mentor

Post by Puffer Queen »

What minerals are you testing for in your water?
Kelly
Ahoy
Puffer Fry

Post by Ahoy »

Calcium: 445ppm,
Magnesium 1160ppm (low and being corrected to gain 1300ppm)

Also check dKH which is 12 and iodide / iodate which are difficult to interpret from the kit but I can convince myself of normal levels.

HTH,
S.
Puffer Queen
Mentor

Post by Puffer Queen »

Regular water changes should maintain your levels unless you have a lot of stony corals.

Be careful adding iodine to your tank - it can bind and release later with changes in water parameters leading to overdosing/toxicity.

What test kits are you using?
Kelly
Ahoy
Puffer Fry

Post by Ahoy »

Salifert kits. I do have a lot of LPS and a few SPS corals, but I dose kalk to maintain Ca and KH. I shall be keeping an eye on the puffer, of course, but it looks very healthy and is extremely interactive.

I am careful with iodine supplementation but thanks for the comments. My concern is that the salifert kits colour chart is a bit vague so I err on the side of caution with additives!

S.
BubblePUffer
Dwarf Puffer

Post by BubblePUffer »

Try frozen raw prawn from grocery store. Mine doesn't like those frozen marine food from LFS. He only love raw prawn that I chop into small pieces and swallow it like no tomorrow. I feed them clams once in a while.
Puff...Puff...Puff... Bubble Puffer on the way!!!