What type of filter?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Puffernut
Dwarf Puffer

What type of filter?

Post by Puffernut »

I am setting up a 75 gallon for my Celyon puffer. The tank has skimmer and about 100 lbs of LR, what would recommend for a filter.
2 X Figure 8's- Garfield and Oddy
1 X Ceylon - Newton
1 X Spiney Box- Webster
Phaedrus
Former Staff Member

Post by Phaedrus »

If you are using live rock and a skimmer, you don't need any other type of filter really. You could use something for mechanical filtration, or use powerheads for added current and to eliminate dead spots.

What SG are you at?
Puffernut
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Puffernut »

Full marine
2 X Figure 8's- Garfield and Oddy
1 X Ceylon - Newton
1 X Spiney Box- Webster
puffergeek
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 7 Carinotetraodon travancoricus
1 Carinotetraodon irrubesco
1 Dichotomyctere nigroviridis
Location (country): US

Post by puffergeek »

I agree with Phaedrus, you don't need really anything else, but I do like having a filter for mechanical and chemical (polyfilter and purigen).

My ceylon tank has a skimmer, a large powerhead, lots of LR, and an AquaClear 70.

If you have a sump you could do any other filtering there. I'm also a huge fan of refugiums. I want to drill my ceylon tank and add a sump/fuge, but for now I just added several types of macro-algea to the tank. It actually looks very nice!
mikeosoft
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by mikeosoft »

If I were you I would not go with any conventional type of filter. In salt water, mechanical filters that include sponges really just trap waste which turns into nitrates.

If I were you I would add a powerhead to the tank to keep the waste in the water column where the skimmer can pick it out. Then I would add a refugium (either HOB type or a sump) with some macro-algae for nutrient removal. Many even people make refugiums out of modified AquaClear HOB filters.