anybody feed thier puffer pellets?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
thuglife
Puffer Fry

anybody feed thier puffer pellets?

Post by thuglife »

I was thinking about buying some pellets to feed my dogface as a part of his diet. You guys think he would even touch it? He won't even eat flake food, he always spits it back out. I am feeding it now krill, shrimp, squid and snails. He also sometimes eat the seaweed i feed the tang.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You can certainly try but remember that they are crustaceon eaters in the wild. It could help w/their teeth.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Puffer Queen
Mentor

Post by Puffer Queen »

Pellet/flake food usually lacks the necessary vitamins and minerals for long term use. The problem with these types of food is that there are no expiration dates on the containers and many sit on wholesalers/LFS shelves indefinitely, not to mention they are often shipped or kept at temperature extremes.

Once exposed to air or if the lid is not kept on securely - nutritional content is altered/affected.

With that being said - one can add vitamins to these types of food and it is readily absorbed and a good way to get vitamins in the fish.
Kelly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I agree you must suppliment the occasional pellet with normal pufferfoods. See our Library for articles on diet.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

bonnie3188
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bonnie3188 »

My puffer eats pellets. Its not his main diet, but when i need to just feed the tank in a hurry i drop in some pellets and he readily eats them! I didnt buy the pellets with an intention to feed them to my puffer, i was thinking of the tangs and clowns but he eats them and seems to like them.
The pellets i use are rather big and i think they are beneficial for his teeth.
But they couldnt be his main diet, i just use them more as an occaisonal snack
-Bonnie
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I think when there is competition for food, puffers will eat things not generally in their diet.

jefferzbooboo
Dwarf Puffer

Post by jefferzbooboo »

I feed my Pink Spotted Puffer sinking shrimp pellets every once in awhile as a treat. My puffer and blue head wrasse love em. As soon as they hit the bottom I can see my hermit crabs migrating over to them and they clean up what the puffer and wrasse don't eat.