New Stars and Stripes Puffer

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

New Stars and Stripes Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

I have finally found the Puffer for my 230G! I was thrilled to find such a friendly, healthy looking S&S Puffer. I was not sure what I would eventually stock my 230G with but yesterday when I saw this guy and he came racing to the glass to greet me, I was sold! He is currently about 2.5 inches and is Qt'd in the 24G Nano I had removed all the corals from a week ago. I was lucky enough to have this tank FOWLR but still cycled. I am going to QT him in there for 6 weeks and then he will go into a 100G I picked up today. I hope he will be ok in the 100 for a year and then of course, the 230G which may have to be set up at my parents house because Im in a second floor apartment...although a guy upstairs has a 210G Reef set up and has had it up there for 5 years with no problems. I dont trust that much weight though on the floors! Anyways, I will post pics after he has settled in for a few more days!
Phaedrus
Former Staff Member

Post by Phaedrus »

If you're worried about the floors, ask your landlord. They should know, or be able to find out, what it can support.

If the guy above you has a 200g tank, I don't see why you couldn't as well.

Are they wooden or concrete floors?

Congratulations on finding a nice puffer. Can't wait to see pics.
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

Actually I am not setting up my 230G in this apartment because with a 100G sump, Im looking at 330G total. My landlord is fine with 200G tanks but I still dont fee right about it. I am not worried about it falling through the floor or anything, I just don't want 200G of saltwater in my apartment. These are newly renovated suites, my girlfriend and I are the first to live in them and I would hate to destroy one! They are concrete floors with hardwood on top, by the way.

I am hoping that he will be fine in the 100G for a while. I may even think about taking the 100G back and looking for a 125. I want to see how long I can keep him in my place because I know it will be real hard to let him go once he gets too big for the tank
Nusquam
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Nusquam »

Did you get the S&S from J&L like you planned? We went to check it out yesterday and today, and we thought we saw the same S&S on both days? *scratches head*
reginator
Puffer Fry

Post by reginator »

A concrete floor should be able to stand up to 2 metric tonnes without the least concern so long as you stick the tank on a load bearing wall. I live in a 250 year old wooden beam framed building that has suffered numerous floods up to the first floor in it's history and have 500 litres sat accross one of the beams without any movement whatsoever, and another 660litres distributed about the place. No problems. We're moving to a new (concrete structure) flat when they finish them, the construction company assures me that anything up to 5 metric tonnes could be placed anywhere I like and a total of 15 tonnes in the flat would still be well within structural limits. If in any doubt, call an architect in to have a look, it will only take them less than half an hour to be able to tell you the score and would be able to set your mind at ease....
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

Nasquam- There were 3 different S&S when I went in. I got the smallest one! He was in a tank with a Dogface Puffer and a really huge Hippo Tang. But he was hiding in the corner behind some PVC and I almost missed him! One of the guys I know who works at J&L showed him to me or I may not have him now!

reginator- Thanks for the help! I really would feel better about things, if I knew the wall I want to use was a load bearing wall, so I will have to find out. I am still only going to set up a 150G at the most in this place, so I hope he doesnt outgrow that too quick!
Hilly
Mentor
My Puffers: Current: Tetraodon Lineatus
Previous:
Tetraodon Sabahensis
Montrete Abei
Tetraodon Biocellatus
Carinotetraodon Salivator
Location (country): UK

Post by Hilly »

Looking forward to seeing pics Justin.
Hilly
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

Anyone know the growth rate of a S&S? I am assuming it will be like an inch a month for the first year...then slow down.
manutius
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: RIP Clooney the Mbu :(

Post by manutius »

if you look at the other bigger puffers that seems to be the norm, I can vouch for Clooney growing that fast. He's 4-5 years old now and I would say its an inch every 6 months or so. Actually I'm gonna chart his growth over the next year. Justin , you could do that with your guy and post the results. It would be great info for everyone I reckon ;)