Update on my marine/reef GSP & his tankmates

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
GSPdragon
Dwarf Puffer

Update on my marine/reef GSP & his tankmates

Post by GSPdragon »

It's been about a month since I updated, so thought it was about time

background: Wasabi was bought from petco in FW, I moved him up through BW to full SW over the past year or so... few months back I added a skimmer & LR (some of the LR had softies on it)... he got moody for over a week, then returned to "normal" although a bit more of a lurker. Got him a maroon clownfish tankmate... they didn't really acknowledge eachother much.

We moved to NJ, shortly after the move I got much better lighting for the tank and added a few more softies, a fellow reefer gave me a RTBA, my clown immediately hosted and got more aggressive (just in that she will chase Wasabi if he gets to close to it). The day after I added the anemone and lighting Wasabi's color was awful (white on top and black belly) although he acted "normal" he stayed this way for well over a week they slowly his coloration returned.

So he's been living in a reef setup now for about a month, including hermit crabs, snails, and a couple emerald crabs. His coloration is excellent... his "personality" has changed dramitically though.... he is rarely out swimming around without a purpose (never ever pacing the glass anymore), 99% of the time you see nothing but his eyes or a quick view of his body as he spends all day hunting pods/shrimp in the LR. I have a ton of pods and some strange little tiny shrimp in there and he obviously thinks all are tastey and facinating. He still eats his ramshorn snails and other foods but also grazes on the LR for stuff all the time.

I really REALLY miss seeing him out and swimming around begging me for food all the time, but enjoy seeing him hunting & growing.

I realize I'm risking things as his temperment might change as he gets older, hopefully he'll stay away from eating corals... but I don't expect the hermits, emeralds, or snails to last forever...actually shocked he doesn't try to eat them now, assuming its because he has easier stuff to find and eat in there and because I keep him fed on ramshorn snails.

I added some sw feeder shrimp yesterday, he's been chasing & stalking them nonstop.
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

Good to hear! I am hoping that my puffers also keep away from the corals as they get older. So far, they have no interest in them. I found my GSP also changed his behavior a lot since adding corals and more LR but he doesnt really hide all day. He actually is now swimming all day but never pacing the glass, so Im really happy about the change. He seems to take a nap everyday, for about two hours, then hes back to exploring!