New Puffer...old one doesn't like him...yet!

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

LOL! I never noticed that before but your right! It very scary looking!!! Its amazing because in the day he is white, black, and yellow but as soon as the lights go out, he totally black and brown only and just blends in with the rock! It looks bright in the pic but that is in total darkness. Man, everytime I get a new puffer, I just fall more in love with them! They are just such cool fish with so much personality!!!
manutius
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: RIP Clooney the Mbu :(

Post by manutius »

Boxermom wrote:Ok, that's just scary. The patterning on his back looks like his eyes and mouth are wide open and his mouth is full of teeth. I had to look several times to see him right. :lol: I definitely wouldn't mess with him looking like that if I was a fish! Looks way too much like a shark coming out of the rock.
:lol: I thought that too but forgot to type it :redface: !!!!
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Oh man, it took me a few times but now I see what you mean about it looking like a shark!
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

A grinning shark about to enjoy a good meal. :lol:
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
bonnie3188
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bonnie3188 »

My valentini sleeps on our vege clip that we put nori on for the tangs. He sleeps there everynight and is in quite a routine- he goes to bed at 9pm and wakes up around 8.30am just before the lights come on. He used to sleep on a rock, but we moved the rocks around a bit, and he doesnt like sleeping where there is much flow. Its really cute! The coronata puffer sleeps on the sand, but moves around a bit during the night.

My yellow tang seems fine in the 75g. He was in there with just the valentini puffer for a month or so and it was fine because there werent any other fish and there was lots of swimming room. Now the tank is a bit crowded because of the 5x2x2 on the way, and he is still happy but he bosses the other fish around a lot.

In a 65g in my opinion i think it would be okay if there werent any other tangs or aggressive fish, and if there was lots of swimming room. Also the length of the tank is important because they really do swim a lot and are very active. How long is your tank?

Ill try to take a pic of my val puffer asleep, its very cute!

Hope everything is going well

Cheers,
Bonnie
-Bonnie
bonnie3188
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bonnie3188 »

this is my valentini asleep, sorry to post on your thread! he looks a bit weird cos i had to use flash.

he sleeps here everynight, its so cute.
-Bonnie
manutius
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: RIP Clooney the Mbu :(

Post by manutius »

OMG you better get some help to that puffer it looks like its got a bad case of sucker clip parasite :D
jefferzbooboo
Dwarf Puffer

Post by jefferzbooboo »

My Pink Spotted Puffer sleeps vertical like that, but mine does in the corner LOL
bonnie3188
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bonnie3188 »

Hey Justin,

I just had some ideas about how you could get your Valentini to eat.
When i got my new puffer, he was very shy and reluctant to eat. I got a small medical syringe thing or you can use a turkey baster and i would squirt the food right infront of his face. I tried all the common foods and he wouldnt eat them, but then i tried these pellets that i dont often use, and he loved them! Hes gone from pellets to flakes and now he is eating mysis shrimp.
I think the pellets were good because they would fall really slowly, and get quite dispersed in the tank cos of the flow.

When i find small brittle stars and worms in my other tank, i drop them into the tank and he loves them, but this might not work because yours sounds a bit more timid.

Are you having any luck with your valentini yet? The only other thing i could suggest would be nori, because mine loves it. but i think this could just be an individual taste of his ;)

good luck! keep me posted!
-Bonnie
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

Im not having the best luck with my puffers right now. They are both eating well but seem to just hide all day now. Tonight the Valentini ate more than Ive ever seen yet and he was able to compete with the GSP for food. I was happy that they were competing but were very gentle with each other still! It was good to see. I am not sure if all this hiding is the new tank (I moved the GSP into this new tank only a week or so before I added the Valentini). I wanted to add the Valentini before the GSP claimed the whole tank as his own but now Im wondering if he is very stressed? He has gotten very dull. His belly stays nice and white but his spots are very dull and grey...until he eats, then he brightens right up and is very active! BUT when feeding time is over, its back to hiding for both of them. It looks like I only have a chromis in the tank because he is the only one that seems to stay out! I wish I knew what they were stressed about! Hopefully in a few more days or so, they will be ok.

I forgot to mention that they will now hide together even in the same cave, so they don't mind each other at all. Not sure whats bothering them!

If anyone has any ideas, let me know!
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

Does your Valentini change colors like mine at night? It looks like he is still yellow...
bonnie3188
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bonnie3188 »

Mine doesnt camoflage as much as yours does, but i dont think its anything to worry about. My coronata puffer completely camoflages- so much so that you cant really tell where he is.

What do they do when they are hiding? Do they investigate stuff or just hide? Its really good that they spend time together, at least they get along!

My guess would be that they are just getting used to their tank. I know that my valentini is always investigating and hunting until he knows that im in the room, then he does his begging dance.

Id love to see a pic of your tank and the puffers together, they sound really cute!
-Bonnie
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

I will take some pics tomorrow for you. They are kinda cute together. I think I just worry too much but Ive never seen my GSP hide so much! When they are in the caves, they are just hovering mostly. They do move around and pick at the LR but not much...this is what worries me. I had thought that once they had gotten use to being around each other, they would come out and enjoy the tank but they seem to like each other now but not the tank! I have no idea...