Min. Tank size for Porc? 125?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Puffer Queen
Mentor

Post by Puffer Queen »

I had tried to clarify the size question in this post:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... id=1022266

Here is my answer:
Are you referring to the Diodon hystrix or the Diodon holocanthus - both are often referred to as porcupine puffer.

The more common/available is the holocanthus that reaches a max of about a foot (12 inches) - even in the ocean.

The hystrix can reach a couple of feet!

According to people that log more dives than me and do more research - Scott Michael, Dr Burgess, Helmet Debelius, Rudie Kuiter.....Diodon Holocanthus have been reported to reach 30 cm, Diodon Lituratus - 40 cm and Diodon Hystrix - 70 cm.

Many of the care sheets that I have reviewed on various sites have many incorrect facts.

Hope this helps clarify.
Kelly
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

Found somewhat larger numbers for all of the Diodons mentioned here in literature, haven't checked scuba or aquaristic magazines and sites:

D. holocanthus 50 cm
D. liturosus 65 cm (is litoratus another species?)
D. hystrix 91 cm

But, maybe they were missidentified. Maybe they usually stay smaller even as adults and the larger ones are rarer exceptions. Maybe total length and standard length (without tail fin) got mixed up.

Anyway I wouldn't use a tank below 125 even for the smallest of the three and rather prefer double that size.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
Puffer Queen
Mentor

Post by Puffer Queen »

What source are these from??
Kelly
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

holocanthus: e.g. Robins and Ray: field guide to Atlantic coast fishes of North America, p. 308

liturosus: e.g. lieske & meyers: Coral reef fishes. Indo-Pacific...

hystrix: e.g. Eschmeyer, Herald, Hammann: A field guide to Pacific coast fishes

The IGFA should have quite good data on maximum length and weight, too, but I am not a member.

There also was a review of the porcs last year (?) by Jeffrey Leis, who I think is quite an expert. I'll have a look if he mentions length and if I manage to get it.

The largest one I've personally seen was in an Mongolian (quite away from the sea) restaurant. It was plastinated and longer than 2 ft. Thought it was a hystrix. In case I get back I'll get a picture.

I never had a porc myself and I don't dive, so I relied on literature and zoo and lfs visits.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
Puffer Queen
Mentor

Post by Puffer Queen »

Corvus wrote:holocanthus: e.g. Robins and Ray: field guide to Atlantic coast fishes of North America, p. 308

liturosus: e.g. lieske & meyers: Coral reef fishes. Indo-Pacific...

hystrix: e.g. Eschmeyer, Herald, Hammann: A field guide to Pacific coast fishes

The IGFA should have quite good data on maximum length and weight, too, but I am not a member.

There also was a review of the porcs last year (?) by Jeffrey Leis, who I think is quite an expert. I'll have a look if he mentions length and if I manage to get it.

The largest one I've personally seen was in an Mongolian (quite away from the sea) restaurant. It was plastinated and longer than 2 ft. Thought it was a hystrix. In case I get back I'll get a picture.
Hystrix do get large - mine is at two feet right now and I have seen even larger ones on dives.
Kelly