New Ideas...Well kind of!

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

New Ideas...Well kind of!

Post by JustinPSmith »

Well I was at my LFS today and saw a very nice looking Dwarf/Zebra Lionfish. I really like him. He is eating prepared foods, so feeding in not an issue but Im wondering about the whole poison thing. It worries me. I have done some research and found that a prick from one of his back spines is like a bee sting to a human but what about to a puffer? I am worried about my puffer getting stung, even by accident maybe? Any thoughts on this? Can the sting kill a puffer?

Second choice is still a yellow tang. They have some beautiful little guys who are about the same size as my puffer, well kind of, I mean they are so skinny and tall but about the same. Im still debating the whole yellow tang in a 65G dilemma though. I have heard of people keeping them in smaller tanks even but it just seems small. What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with this? Most sites seem to list 50G as a minimum but I would disagree!

Third choice right now might be a few smaller fish. Not sure what types but I would like some color. I really wanted a watchman goby but I think that would be totally pushing it with a puffer, even if it is a friendly puffer. They just seem like easy targets!!! So I am really not sure....

Anyways, as you can see, Im all over the map on this one! I really just dont know what to do and thats why my QT is still empty. I won't rush into anything but do have a week off next week and my LFS just got in a bunch of beautiful fish!

Any ideas are welcome at this point!!!
Apocalyptictoast
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Apocalyptictoast »

I've heard that lionfish and puffers is a bad idea due to puffers being nippy and lions having long fins. I dunno about dwarf lionfish.
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

Well yeah that was one of my first thoughts when I began looking into this but my GSP has yet to ever bite a fin of a tankmate, not to say he never will though. My LFS has had their GSP and Dwarf lion together for at least 5 years now and they are happy and having no problems. I am more concerned about the poison end of things. But again, Im open to ANY suggestions at this point...
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I was considering a FuManchu lion for my frogfish till I went on WWM & researched the FAQs. Found 3 of them describing how their frogfish had been stung by the lion. Guess no lion for me!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"