New GSP Tankmate...Valentini Puffer

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

New GSP Tankmate...Valentini Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

I ended up getting a Valentini Puffer for Christmas (I picked it out). He is in my 65G with my GSP. I just thought I would mention it because I think a few people have asked before about keeping them together. Hes been in the tank for three days now and they are getting along...so far. I have always had tankmates with my GSP and he has never even nipped a fin before so I thought I would try the Valentini. I was nervous because they are both puffers but I have another 65G that Im setting up soon as a backup plan. So far the GSP just ignores the Valentini completely but the valentini follows the GSP everywhere. Its quite funny! They seem to eat at different sides of the tank for the most part. So I will post some pics when I can find my battery charger and keep you updated on how the two puffers get along.
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Post by Nick »

Thats very exciting! I had to get a molly out of Shakespeare's tank at one point, not because he was mean to it, but because it was following him like a trained dog and Shakespeare was going crazy trying to "loose his tail," even bumping into things. I had originally thought some competition for food and something else swimming might make Shakespeares tank more interesting for him, but it didn't work out.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

Yeah it was so exciting until today...Unfortunately the Valentini decided that he would be boss of the tank and began bulling the GSP. I returned him today and its now back to the drawing board! Not sure whats next as a tankmate but it will not be a puffer! I am possibly going to go with a dwarf lion or even a tang. Only thing is, I really dont like the idea of a yellow tang in a 65G...seems too small. The dwarf lion might work though. We will see.
puffergeek
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 7 Carinotetraodon travancoricus
1 Carinotetraodon irrubesco
1 Dichotomyctere nigroviridis
Location (country): US

Post by puffergeek »

I swore I'd not bother with tankmates for my GSP after my ceylon nipped him (who now has his own tank), but I find myself trying again :redface:

So I bought a Halichoeres garnoti (called a "neon wrasse" by my LFS) who is a pretty fish, although still young and has very pale coloration. He will get to 5 or 6 inches in length(19.3 cm TL per fishbase).

I've been worried about feeding time nipping, but so far my GSP has been an angel. The wrasse on the other had... well, he fast and will swoop in and snatch food right in front of the puffer. He's a fast little fish. He's even run off with a few pond snails before he realized he couldn't do much with them. (My GSP eventually found them and had his dinner, poor bloke.)

Diet-wise, they are compatible... wrasses like meaty foods and eats lots of the scraps (puffers are such messy eaters!)from krill, clams, and the like. It's been about a month now, and so far so good. (That reminds me, I still have the QT set up. I keep meaning to go get some LR and maybe a frag or two...)
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

That may be a good idea! Im still looking around for a new tankmate. Problem has never been my GSP, as he is just such a softie but I find other fish will pick on him. I still have my 50G QT up and running but have nothing yet in it...so no tankmates for the next month of so. The Valentini was interessting because I saw him about a month ago and wanted him. My brother found out and bought it for me, QT'd it and then gave it to me for Christmas! He was only in the tank for about 6 days before he began niping my GSP. My GSP looked so sad, he just curled up in a cave and wouldnt come out. As soon as the Valentini was gone, the GSP was back to normal and happy! I traded the Valentini back to the LFS for supplies I needed. They were suggesting I try one of the blue spotted puffers they had but I just am not sure about two Puffers anymore. Although I wish it would work!!!

Anyways, I am open to suggestions...Its a 65G FOWLR with about 90lbs Live Rock, 192 watts PC lighting (not that, that matters), skimmer, refugium, and a very timid Green Spotted Puffer!
kass
Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): Canada

Post by kass »

What about another GSP or a ceylon.
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

Yeah I was thinking a Ceylon. Any experience keeping them together?
kass
Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): Canada

Post by kass »

Me no. But I think pufferpunk had some together.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

If the same size, it may work, but I bought mine up together from juvies.

Is the general consensus that Valentinis are really mean? How about the other tobies? I really want one but it would have to get along w/my new ftogfish. I can't have the lil fella gettin picked on.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

Pufferpunk, what would you try if you had a 65G Marine with a very "soft" GSP? Im talking puffers or otherwise...
Looking for something maybe his size.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Ceylons are supposed to be nicer than GSPs. If you're looking for something different than a puffer, you could try a tomato clownfish.
Last edited by Pufferpunk on Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
puffergeek
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 7 Carinotetraodon travancoricus
1 Carinotetraodon irrubesco
1 Dichotomyctere nigroviridis
Location (country): US

Post by puffergeek »

I do believe pufferpunk had two GSP and a ceylon together for some time without problems (correct me if I'm wrong PP)... it really depends on the individual puffer sometimes.

My ceylon eventually nipped my GSP... quite badly (although he healed okay in his new tank). My ceylon is very aggressive at mealtimes and I will never keep any roommates with him again.

IME, tobies are really bad about nipping. I'd never put one in with another puffer... and I would probably use a solo FOWLR tank for one of these nasty blokes. I personally had a very bad experience with a Canthigaster solandri, and so I may be a bit bias ;)

My GSP has proven to be very mellow... so I was willing to take a chance with the wrasse. If your GSP is mellow enough, have you thought about a small species of clownfish or a few blue-green chromis?

Or you could say "heck with fish!" and try a few soft corals :D

I've had luck keeping mushrooms, xenia, and green star polyps with my GSP. He's been so good, I plan to frag my finger leather and add it to his tank... once it gets big enough. Those are fun enough, you may not worry about a fishy roommate.
Woland
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1 X Tetraodon nigroviridis, 1 X Monotrete palembangensis.
Location (country): Norway

Post by Woland »

Pufferpunk wrote:Is the general consensus that Valentinis are really mean? How about the other tobies?
I have read several reports on the temperament of Tobies.
Mean little bastards... :twisted:
Regards

Woland
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

No corals, I have a reef tank already. Im actually not enjoying the whole reef tank at all! I have kept blue green chromis with him and he just ignored them but Im looking for a different type of tankmate. I may be asking too much of only a 65G though...I may end up using my 230G (Once I move) as a FOWLR tank instead of the planned reef tank. Then I can keep the types of fish Im looking for! But that is sometime down the road....I can easily get a dwarf Lion but again Im worried about the Lion picking on the GSP! He is just such a timid puffer...
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

I have watched all the tobies a lot in my LFS and they seem very aggressive, even towards the bigger tankmates! I noticed that they sneak up on their tankmates and just nip them and swim away! They had a big banner fish in with a 3" toby and the banner fish was very badly nipped...although putting a banner fish with a puffer seems like its just waving long fins infront of their face!!!!