HELP!!! Has anyone kept a marine GSP with a RTBA?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
GSPdragon
Dwarf Puffer

HELP!!! Has anyone kept a marine GSP with a RTBA?

Post by GSPdragon »

I'm beyond stressing out right now and hopeful someone can help.

Long story short, we just moved to NJ, I met a really nice guy online with the local reefer club, he helped me get replacement fish for the ones I lost in transit and some corals for my nano.

I told him about my 50g, which houses my marine GSP Wasabi and a maroon clownfish... it was a "reef weed" tank (ie LR & corals such as shrooms, green star polyps, anthelia). He gave me a 36" Odessa PC light and a RBTA, along with some more LR (one piece has a small yellow leather).

Anyways I put all the above into my tank yesterday (was never out of water) and my clown immediately hosted in the rbta, Wasabi was fine as usual and I was happy.

Almost 24 hours later I just checked the tank and Wasabi's coloration was HORRIBLE, I immediately felt sick and almost reached in and started pulling the new stuff out. His belly is dark and his green/black back all bleached out and super light. His belly looked a bit big so my best guess is he tasted a coral that didn't agree with him, or he brushed the anemone and got stung?

I realize a puffer in a reef tank is a gamble but I assumed it was for the corals, not my beloved puffer; and (maybe stupidly) assumed that since he didn't mess with any of the other corals that it would be safe to add the RBTA.

So advice PLEASE. Right now his coloration is still off, not as bad as when I first saw him this morning but not anywhere near normal. His behavoir however is perfectly normal, he ate his breakfast of snails and blood worms and is busy hunting through the LR looking for other yummy things.

He is my #1 priority though and if it means I pull out the new LR, anemone, and even give back the lighting I will.

Thank you
Candi
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Didn't Wasabi get all mody when you 1st added him to a reef tank? Probably just moody about the new additions. RBTAs really don't have a strong sting.

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
GSPdragon
Dwarf Puffer

Post by GSPdragon »

Hi PP, yes he got moody initially... and had a darker belly, however this was much more extreme.. much darker belly (that is staying dark) however its the coloration on his back that really has me concerned... he's still super pale, he almost looks like he has a white back and black belly... nothing like he should look. Also last time he was sulking all the time, he's acting fairly normal this time but just looks awful. I don't want to overreact and pull the rbta & leather but he's my top priority.
Asuran
Puffer Fry

Post by Asuran »

any new updates on your puffer?