can porcupine live with dogface

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
indie
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 4 x 1.25" Green Spotted Puffers
1 x Suvatti Puffer
2 x Figure 8 Puffers
Location (country): UK

can porcupine live with dogface

Post by indie »

i cant seem to find any info anywhere.

can porcupine puffers live with dog faced puffers if the tank size is big enough?
as they both seem to get to roughly the same size, altho the porcupine is obv a more active and aggressive fish compared to the dogface.

any info would be appreciated
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Post by Nick »

The porky will get half again bigger than the dogface, so it may be a bit of a food bully, but I don't see why it would be impossible.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

They do not stay the same size first of all. The Porc will get much bigger and be much more aggressive! I had considered this for the 230G I am setting up but I ended up talking to alot of people and deciding that this was too small for these fish. Im not so sure that a 200G plus tank would be cruel for these two puffers but I dont think its a great idea. The minimum tank size for a Dogface is 100G and for a Porc about 120G but I think that should be more like 150g min. So maybe a 300G would be good. An example of size, is my brothers porc is about a foot and a half and in a 180G by himself....He looks cramped in there I think. If there was a Dogface too, I think that tank would need to be double. Why not just get one and build a nice tank around one of them? You also would have to have at least two 50G tanks ready for quarantine in case of emergency for these two big fish when they are full grown!
Puffer Queen
Mentor

Post by Puffer Queen »

Have kept several species of arothrons with the diodon holoncanthus - including the common dogface without problems. Just make sure that at feeding time all get their "fair share".
Kelly
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

What size tank? Wouldnt my 230G be a little too small?
indie
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 4 x 1.25" Green Spotted Puffers
1 x Suvatti Puffer
2 x Figure 8 Puffers
Location (country): UK

Post by indie »

yeh i think perhaps one is best. especially given how big the tank needs to be. i really like the porcupine puffers and could provide the right tank size for one. how human friendly are they? i like the fact they are more active than the dogfaced, however the dogfaced puffer at the lfs will let u stroke him but hes fairly inactive other than feeding time.
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

I think once they get to know you, most Porcs are very friendly. They do have alot of personality too!