Strange things porcupine puffers do

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
SaltwaterPufferGirl
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 2 dogface puffers, 1 porcupine puffer

Strange things porcupine puffers do

Post by SaltwaterPufferGirl »

I have a very friendly porc puffer that does the happy face swim/dance in the front of tank when I walk by or when I'm talking to my fish. lol Well my mom came over and she had on a stripped shirt and as soon as she got close to the tank he took off in a panic and hid on the bottom of the tank like he was dead, was holding his breath and didn't move a fin. when she stepped away a while later he came back out but every time she came to the tank with the stripes on her shirt he freaked out, I even put on a shirt with stripes going a different direction and he freaked out on me. Ha Ha my puffer is a fashion guru. lol I had my mom put a jacket on and he would stay at the front of the tank. anyone else had anything similar like this happen? Or is my little guy just strange. And he loves to spit water in your face when you are feeding him he is getting soooo much better with his aim. I guess I will have to invest in some safty goggels.
Smiles are free... so give them away...
indie
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 4 x 1.25" Green Spotted Puffers
1 x Suvatti Puffer
2 x Figure 8 Puffers
Location (country): UK

Post by indie »

lol i love it when fish have weird things!

do u have any piccies of him? and his tank? id love to see his tank :D
Gomez
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Gomez »

I have had similar expierences with my fahaka. He will freak out and try and swim away( usiually when someone aproaches the tank wearing bright colors)
he will hit the glass with his face. He had a red spot on his lower lip from hitting the glass to hard, it has slowly gone away.
What's the difference between a fish and a piano?
You can't tuna fish!
gagned
Dwarf Puffer

Post by gagned »

My porc doesn't like facial hair. Anybody approaching the tank with a beard, mustache, or goatie freaks him out. If I don't shave for a couple of days, he avoids me too and sulks in a back corner.

As for the spitting, my porc has only spit at me once. His aim was pretty good too... he got me right in the face. My sharpnose puffer spits at me all the time though.

Dan
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

My brothers porc seems to like to puff up a tiny bit around certain people. He will just kind of see them, puff a bit and swim near the glass until they leave...We figured he just doesnt like some people near his tank!

My GSP is very strange. He sticks his head out of the water when I look down into his tank from above. He often will then open his mouth! Its very strange...Its a great way to see his teeth though! He also sleeps in a cave with his two chromis tankmates. And Im talking, the three of them are crammed into this cave! He just lets them squish in after he goes to bed. I guess if the chromis are female then his name suits him...Don Juan! Ive been trying to get a good pic of this but my camera is horrible when only the moonlights are on!
PuffTheMagicFishy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: None at the mo.
Location (country): California, USA

Post by PuffTheMagicFishy »

Our old GSP Kismet was always extremely suspicious of new people. He'd hide behind his rocks and kind of peek around a corner very carefully to see what the new person was up to. He'd eventually warm up to them if food was involved, though! He seemed to recognise that these were different people--he was never scared of his "family" no matter what we were wearing or how we looked.
Tanks:
20-gal feeder breeder (platties and snails)
75-gal West African Lungfish + snails

Other pets: Pacific parrotlet, Italian Greyhound, lots of plants
navy
Puffer Fry

Post by navy »

He also sleeps in a cave with his two chromis tankmates. And Im talking, the three of them are crammed into this cave! He just lets them squish in after he goes to bed. I guess if the chromis are female then his name suits him...Don Juan! Ive been trying to get a good pic of this but my camera is horrible when only the moonlights are on!
that is sooo cute! You really need to get a pic, maybe you could hold a torch near the tank so as to not wake them up, then take a pic. Would love to see one!

So do all puffers sleep like that? I have never seen my fish sleep!
manutius
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: RIP Clooney the Mbu :(

Post by manutius »

Wow these little puffer manerisms are cool. I haven't noticed Clooney doing anything different when certain people are in the lounge, he just loves everyone, matbe he's a hippy :lol: but he always seems to watch the cats and I'm sure he looks out the window too and watches the world go by :D