puffer for a 20g+ 10g sump?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
saynever
Figure 8 Puffer

puffer for a 20g+ 10g sump?

Post by saynever »

I read through the puffer pedia and noticed that all of the small puffers require a minimum of 25g. WOuld it be cruel to house one in a 20g high with a 10g sump or should i just consider non-puffer fish?
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

What type of puffer are you talking about? I would personally be fine with keeping a Valentini Puffer in a 20G if he was by himself, but Im sure many will disagree. I think with most small puffers that water quality is way more important than overall space. Having said that, I keep my GSP in a 65G with only a pair of chrmois because I feel it is more fun for my puffer to have so much room and Live Rock! The other advantage of a bigger marine tank that is a fish only set up, is less water changes...I probably shouldnt say that...I would never promote infrequent water changes unless you really know what your doing but I have found that in my 65G with no corals, 80lbs of LR, and a great skimmer that it tests perfect even after two months without a change! I do a water change every two months...Even then, nitrates are only around 5-10, so nothing to even worry about! My brother has a 180G FOWLR tank with only a porcupine puffer and I think about 200 lbs LR and he only does three water changes a year! And he has had that tank up for 6 years now! Anyways Im way off topic but I guess Im saying that I would always go bigger for so many reasons but I personally see now problam with something like a Valentini Puffer in a 20G. They only get about 4 inches or so.
saynever
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by saynever »

yea or any of the sharp nose ones which require 25g minimum.

I mean, i am not one for stunting as i only have 1 dp in a 10g with 3 otos. I was just curious if it was because of size or water quality. Its not a huge deal, as there are plenty of nano fish that would work, i was just hoping to keep the puffer trend going as i find their eating habits and personalities very enjoyable.