Ceylon Puffer and Porcupine Puffer?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
timmystood
Puffer Fry

Ceylon Puffer and Porcupine Puffer?

Post by timmystood »

Hey Guys!

I currently have a 55 Gallon Marine tank complete with some live rock! It currently is home to Mr. Puff, my beautiful Ceylon Puffer (stupid I know, 55G for a tiny Ceylon!)
Anyway, I work at an LFS and have fallen in love with the Porcupine Puffer we have in and just wandered if their would ever be a possibilty of mixing the Ceylon and Porcupine :roll:
Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

The Ceylon will grow into the 55g, no problem. You'd need around 125-150g for both.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
timmystood
Puffer Fry

Post by timmystood »

OK. If I was to upgrade the tank would the live happily together? They aren't the same size (The ceylon is only 2-3" and the Porcupine is roughly 5")
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

Ummm.. no. Check the info in the Pufferpedia linked above. :)
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Depending on their personality, I think in a tank large enough/lots of decor & broken lines of sight, you could keep an 8" & 12" puffer together. You'd still have to be prepared to seperate them, if they didn't get along.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

Good lord, I need to get my brain rewired. I'm sorry, I thought you were asking "Aren't they the same size..." rather than stating that they aren't the same size. I thought you thought ceylons get 2-3" and porcs got 5" when grown. :) Sorry about that. I'll crawl back into my cave now.
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
timmystood
Puffer Fry

Post by timmystood »

LOL! Don't worry Boxermom, I appreciate any help you give me!

Damm this is a hard choice! I really badly want the porcupine but don't want to get rid of my Ceylon! Don't really have the finance until after Christmas to get a 7th tank! Hmm...
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

Porcs are pretty commonly available. You could probably wait and still be able to get one later once you can get the bigger tank.
Tina

timmystood
Puffer Fry

Post by timmystood »

I want it NOW!! LOL! Good news though today is that I should be getting another tank! Meaning that Porky's tank should be ready in no time!
Dinsdale
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Bak Mei, ~4" Auriglobus Modestus. In a 55g tank (since '06) w/ some guppies he pays no attention to.
Location (country): USA

Post by Dinsdale »

I think 55 gallons is the minimum for a full-grown Ceylon, so you're definitely not overdoing it....but I'm sure the Ceylon appreciates having the 55 from the get go.
HRPuffersnStuff
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by HRPuffersnStuff »

I am jealous... I would also love to get a porky, but I would settle for a Ceylon since I have been looking for one for almost three years! Yar! Why does it seem like everyone else can find one but me??!! lol
saynever
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by saynever »

the porc will need 125g(better in like 150-180g min) by itself before other fish...they get big.

For a 55g, go with the ceylon or a gsp.
mikeosoft
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by mikeosoft »

If I were to get another porcupine puffer he would be added to nothing less than a 125gal tank, with at least a 50gal sump, even for a small one. The bio-load from these fish is huge, even with a good skimmer, and you will run into nitrate problems very quickly.