Starry puffer (Arothron stellatus)

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
cougarguy
Puffer Fry

Starry puffer (Arothron stellatus)

Post by cougarguy »

So recently I have been seeing these guys around locally for the past month or so and I have wanted to buy one of these puffers since I got into sw fish.

So I guess I want to know if they are hard to care for or have any special food requirements or if they are like other sw puffers.

I have seen alot of them about 2-3" long, I know they get pretty big once they are full grown and I plan on providing the tank they would need eventually but for now I would like to put him in my 180 with my 6.5" S&S or should I keep him in a different tank.
TMMappa
Puffer Fry

Post by TMMappa »

stellars are pigs! They will eat almosty anything and will taste everything in your tank. I had a beautiful one that was 7" long that I beleive I lost due to intestinal parasites. If you buy one make sure its eating, make sure it doesnt sulk around and is interested in its surroundings. It would be wise to try and de-worm it upon purchase. Im not sure what you could use ( maybe PraziPro, garlic ) ask around. They grow fast, if hes healthy expect a 2" specimen to be 7"-8" in a yr.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

What size tank are you planning for him as a 3' adult?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
cougarguy
Puffer Fry

Post by cougarguy »

Well we are paying off our debt and saving up to build a house in the next few years and were planning on putting a 12'L x 4'W x4'T tank as the room divider between the kitchen and living room.

I already have the floor plans since my wife is a designer at her company, and she worked with a architect to come up with the floor plan.

The thing that sucks the most about a tank that size is all the structural support in the house has to be built around the tanks location.
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

Sounds like it will be awesome though! Ive always wanted a divider tank! They are so beautiful!