Small Lionfish?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Small Lionfish?

Post by JustinPSmith »

Does anyone know the name of any of the small types of lion fish? My local fish shop has a beautiful small species of lion fish in with a GSP. They are not for sale and have been together for years now. The tank is so small, cant be more than 40 or 50G. I was amazed at how well they get along! I really do think GSP's get such a bad reputation! Anyways I will ask the shop the next time I'm there what the name is if no one knows...
Amoore311
Puffer Fry

Post by Amoore311 »

I have heard the name "Dwarf Lionfish" tossed around alot. Unfortunately I don't have any info though.

That must be a very placid GSP in there. Also lionfish are poisonous aren't they?

Maybe that's what deters the GSP from biting his fins off 1 by 1 lol.

I know my GSP definetly won't tolerate any fish in his tank. I got an F8 with him unknowingly when I first bought him and he ripped the F8 open from bottom lip to base of tail in less than 24 hours.

Once I get live rock I'm going to try some hermit crabs to see how they do. Right now I don't have nearly enough cover for anything in my tank.
29 Gallon

Penguin HOB, Tahitian Moon Sand, Lace Rock, Salinity 1.023.

Looking for stocking Ideas
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

My GSP has grown up with mollies and never touched one...not even a nipped fin! Hes very gentle. He is now with hermit crabs and also never bothers them. I have seen him checking them out but never attacking them. I guess it depends on the fish.

As for the lion fish, it is poisonous and I think that is why the GSP doesn't touch it. I also have a friend who keeps his GSP with a yellow tang and they get along very well and have been together for 3 years in a 40G tank.
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

I did some looking and found info on the lionfish, it is a dwarf lionfish or shortfin lionfish, and rarely get more than 6 inches.
Amoore311
Puffer Fry

Post by Amoore311 »

I guess you could try it out. Do research on getting lionfish to eat frozen/freezedried food though.

A guy in my local reef club has tried everything in the book and the danm thing will no eat anything w/o a pulse.
29 Gallon

Penguin HOB, Tahitian Moon Sand, Lace Rock, Salinity 1.023.

Looking for stocking Ideas
HRPuffersnStuff
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by HRPuffersnStuff »

I have two GSPs that are sweet and gentle. I also have three babies that will bite eachother, but not any of the other fish. I guess they are just territorial with eachother. I would like to see pics of these fishes together, do you think your LFS would permit it?
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

Oh yeah they wouldnt mind at all if I took some pics. I will see if I get over there this weekend. Good idea!
cougarguy
Puffer Fry

Post by cougarguy »

Yeah the dwarf lion fish do really well with puffers I had one in my tank for 6 months but lost it in the move to a bigger tank.

I also found out that the Fu Man Chu Lions are really good tank mates for puffers they like to hide in the rock work and some one I know from a lfs has had one in a tank with his Starry puffer for almost 2 years now.