GSP and Yellow Tang Tankmates

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

GSP and Yellow Tang Tankmates

Post by JustinPSmith »

I bumped into an old friend of mine who I had not seen or heard from in many years the other day and we began talking about fish. He has had his GSP about the same amount of time I have had mine which is about three years. I was happy to hear his was doing well and getting very big. What I wasn't expecting to hear was that it has been living with a Yellow Tang for the last two years. And apparently very happy together! I went to see them tonight and what a beautiful tank...Only 40G, minimal live rock but just stunning. It was awesome to see the Tang and GSP living happily together.

Has anyone else ever kept these fish together? I thought the GSP would have killed the tang when the tang was very young but apparently the tang picked on the GSP more in the beginning...Really cool looking together though!
bonnie3188
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bonnie3188 »

I have a valentini puffer and yellow tang together in a 75gallon with live rock and corals. There get along great together- the yellow tang just follows the puffer everywhere!

I think it really depends on how aggressive the fish are... my puffer is really docile and not aggressive at all.

Id say that 40g is too small for a yellow tang though... they need a lot of swimming space because they are quite an active fish and can grow quite big.

My valentini lives happily with a yellow tang, sailfin tang and sixline wrasse.

Cheers
Bonnie
-Bonnie
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

Yeah I thought 40 was too small too but he seems to think its fine and hes the Marine Biologist, so I didnt want to argue with him! I do know though that his water conditions are always perfect.
Bingo
Puffer Fry

Post by Bingo »

I never heard of that... not keeping tangs and puffers together.

I've a purple tang and a puffer and they are like buddies. Well, that is WHEN puffer actually acknowledges purple tang. My puffer tends to be very peaceful and keeps to its self.

However, I've noticed lately, puffer and my clown fish have been hanging around each other.

Awwww... sooooooooooo cute!
thatguy
Puffer Fry

Post by thatguy »

I have a GSP and YT together in the same tank. They just ignore each other. The tang went after the puffer one time and the puffer tried to bite him. After that they just starting acting like the other one isn't there.
#something witty
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

Cool. What size tank is it?
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

Actually since I posted this, I have been seeing more and more GSP's with different types of marine tankmates and getting along very well! If anything, the GSP gets picked on a bit in most cases...
jefferzbooboo
Dwarf Puffer

Post by jefferzbooboo »

Like its been said before, it depends on your puffer. I currently have a Pink Spot Tobie with a Blue Head Wrasse, and a bunch of snails and hermit crabs and he hasn't touched any of them. And pretty much everything I read says the mix should be a no go, but it works.