New Porcupine Puffer won't eat anything but bloodworms.

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
SaltwaterPufferGirl
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 2 dogface puffers, 1 porcupine puffer

New Porcupine Puffer won't eat anything but bloodworms.

Post by SaltwaterPufferGirl »

I got this cute 3 inch porcupine puffer last friday, I interduced him to his new 20 gallon QT tank for the next couple of weeks till he has adjusted and I have figured out his eating habbits. Then he will go into a 150. The QT is in a quiet room he is the only fish in the tank. I don't have any rocks in the tank for him to hide in but there is a coffee cup in there that he can use, i didn't want to put any live rock or lace rock in this tank since I don't have high watt lights on the tank, there is also no background on the tank as well. All he has been doing since I got him is pacing in the back of the tank with is back to me. He will eat any FW ramshorn snail that I put in there, but he has no interest in, shrimp,squid,marine cuisine, mysis shrimp, silversides, mussels, crab meat. The only thing I can get him to eat is a small bite of krill, as many snails as I will put in the tank and a bloodworm or two. Yesterday was the first time that he ate a bunch of bloodworms. I got him to eat a whole cubes worth. I dont' want him to just want to eat bloodworms and snails all the time in fear of a poor diet. My two dogface puffers eat anything I put in the tank. My water tests come out fine this tank has been running for over 6 months now. Should I put one of my yellow tail damsels in there to make him less shy? and to get him into the habbit of wanting to eat more of a variety diet, I was thinking if he sees the other fish eat he might want what it is eating. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Oh I was reading puffers like peas, what type do I get just a bag of frozen ones and thaw them out. I thought that was like x-lax for fish??
Smiles are free... so give them away...
Amoore311
Puffer Fry

Post by Amoore311 »

Peas should only be given as a treat every so often. Mine, as well as some other's go nuts over them though.

He might still be adjusting to the Q/T which is why he is being a picky eater.

Try using garlic spray on the foods he isn't showing interest in. That will usually entice a fish enough *^_^*
29 Gallon

Penguin HOB, Tahitian Moon Sand, Lace Rock, Salinity 1.023.

Looking for stocking Ideas
SaltwaterPufferGirl
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 2 dogface puffers, 1 porcupine puffer

Post by SaltwaterPufferGirl »

I did soak some of the other foods in garlic didn't even pay any attention to them, I will try again when I get off work. I think I will cover the back and sides of the tank with a blue or black background as well.
Smiles are free... so give them away...
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Coming from the wild, he may only be used to foods that are moving. Bounce a shrimp off a piece of thread after not feeding him anything for 3 days. You can also try live crabs.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"