Tank Size/Type

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
ikarus
Puffer Fry

Tank Size/Type

Post by ikarus »

Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of upgrading my tank in the near future. As of now I have a 20G Eclipse 2 Combo with a marine GSP (he's about 2.5~3 inches now). He's killed and/or eaten just about everything else I've tried to put in the tank so he's all alone.

My question to you guys... How big should the next tank be? I'm thinking 50G is the biggest tank I can have in my tiny apartment and I'm not sure if that's big enough.

Also, for feeding, I usually feed him once every 2 days with a little bit of dried krill in vitamins and garlic oil. I feed him until his belly gets a bit distended. Is that enough?

Thanks!
puffergeek
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 7 Carinotetraodon travancoricus
1 Carinotetraodon irrubesco
1 Dichotomyctere nigroviridis
Location (country): US

Post by puffergeek »

I'd think a 50G would be big enough for a solo GSP.

I've slowly become a fan of _not_ having tankmates with puffers. I've had a few too many "incidents" and now only my F8 and dwarf puffers have any fishy tankmates. I do have some hermits with my GSP and Ceylon puffers... but if they disappear I'm not going to replace them.

You feeding schedule and amount sounds fine... although I'd try to vary what you feed him. (Look at the Rocker's food article for ideas: http://www.thepufferforum.com/articles/puffer/food.html ).
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

30g is the minimum recommended, anything bigger is better. :)
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
ikarus
Puffer Fry

Post by ikarus »

i think i'll try for a 50G tank :) do you recommend getting a skimmer? if so, what brands do you recommend?

thanks for your help, tina and puffergeek!
puffergeek
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 7 Carinotetraodon travancoricus
1 Carinotetraodon irrubesco
1 Dichotomyctere nigroviridis
Location (country): US

Post by puffergeek »

No problem!

If you want a HOB style, I recommend an AquaC remora. I also have a CPR Bak-Pak and it works (although not as well) and requires more maintenance IME, but it is cheaper. Be sure to get a "pre-skimmer" box with whatever you buy... they seem expensive, but are totally worth it IMHO.

There are really a lot of good brands out there nowadays, but there are a few to stay away from (like the infamous "Sea-Clown"). Shop around and do research on your pick... you'll be happier if you do!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have the Backpac--what extra maintenence are you talking about? I dump & clean the cup every week & clen out the blue plastic noodles every couple of months.

I'd also recommend live rock for your puffer, when it gets to SW.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"