Greetings!

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
HapBapMan
Puffer Fry

Greetings!

Post by HapBapMan »

Hi:
I'm new to Saltwater fish. I bought a complete setup earlier this summer. I now have a 77 gallon Hagen tank with single T5 fluorescent lighted hood, a power head, Magnum 350 canister filter, and some fish. The fish that came with the tank are as follows: One Dog Face Puffer, one Porcupine Puffer, one Bi-Colored Angel, 1 type of Goby, not sure of the name, one Engineer or Convict Goby (which we hardly ever see except at feeding time). I have added two percula clowns, one yellow tailed blue Tang, three green Chromis. I added a Yellow Tang a couple of weeks ago but he didn't make it. I think that my salinity was too high (1.030) and I acclimatized him too quickly. I've also added a Seaclone 150 protein skimmer.

I have brought the salinity down to aprx. 1.026 by adding R.O. water. Since my tank is fish only right now, I have some live rock with a lot of other rocks, shells, and some live sand I believe. There are no areas in the tank where there is just sand on the bottom. I want to remove some of the shells, etc. and add some more live sand.

I am also going to purchase a new light with greater wattage so that I can start in with some corals and more live rock.

In addition, I have a 66 gallon tank that I want to set up as a saltwater tank. I have been involved with freshwater tropicals for the last few years
and am now scaling back there and trying my hand at saltwater.

I really love the puffers although lately the Dog Face Puffer doesn't appear to be eating and is lying on the bottom of the aquarium most of the time. His bottom tooth may be restricting him from eating. I have read the information on dentistry for Puffers and will try that course of action within the near future. My fear is that I may lose him before I am able to cut his teeth. Unfortunately I am going to be out of town for a week and won't be able to do anything until I get back.

If anyone has any advise with regards on how I can keep my Puffer alive and some possible reasons why he is acting the way that he is, please let me know. I don't want to lose him.

I haven't tested the water lately but that is my next step.

I look forward to learning a lot on this forum.

Cheers!
Rts
strike2
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by strike2 »

Welcome.
HapBapMan
Puffer Fry

Post by HapBapMan »

Thank you.
Rts
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

Welcome. You are REALLY overstocked, which is likely causing some of the problems.
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
HapBapMan
Puffer Fry

Post by HapBapMan »

Hmmmmm...I didn't think that I was overstocked but having said that, I am aware that stocking a marine tank isn't the same as stocking a same sized freshwater tank. Is there an inches/gallon rule like there is with freshwater?

Thanks for the reply.
Rts
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

There isn't even an inch per gallon rule for freshwater really. Porcupine puffers need at least 100g all by themselves. Dogfaces need 100g alone. Puffers really need pristine water conditions. You need to test the water ASAP, IMO, and find out what the current parameters are so the SW people here can help you get them straightened out as needed.
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
Rocker
Former Staff Member

Post by Rocker »

[welcome]
Image Some call it a product of a mis-spent youth, I call it Rock n Roll ! Image
Hilly
Mentor
My Puffers: Current: Tetraodon Lineatus
Previous:
Tetraodon Sabahensis
Montrete Abei
Tetraodon Biocellatus
Carinotetraodon Salivator
Location (country): UK

Post by Hilly »

Welcome HapBapMan
[welcome]
Hilly
bonnie3188
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bonnie3188 »

Id agree with being overstocked. In my 75g I have a valentini puffer, a yellow tang, 2 clowns and a sixline wrasse. Thats pretty stocked for a 75g.

Marine fish have differing needs for what size tanks. The puffers that you have need larger tanks. There are dwarf marine puffers that you could keep in a tankyour size.

Check out liveaquaria.com for your fishes needs

Cheers,
Bonnie
-Bonnie
PetPirate
Gone Today, Here Tomorrow
My Puffers: 3x Tetraodon Nigroviridis in full marine

Post by PetPirate »

WAY overstocked.... ok.. *calms down*

- Dog Face Puffer - needs 100 gallons to himself
- Porcupine Puffer - needs at least 100 gallons to himself
- one Bi-Colored Angel - 30 gallons
- 1 type of Goby, one Engineer or Convict Goby. - OK.
- I have added two percula clowns - not compatible with the other tankmates. Still, I'd say at least 20g for a pair.
- one yellow tailed blue Tang - 100g MINIMUM. Preferably much larger.
- three green Chromis - 30g
- I added a Yellow Tang - 75g minimum. Most advise 100g.

I count a total of 455 gallons needed there... Realistically, I wouldn't choose these fish as a good mix... and if I had to, I would opt for a 240g tank minimum.

You're going to encounter illnesses and many problems related to stress - especially with that poor tang. Time to start figuring out what you want to keep! :D

Anyway, don't let that put you off - I (as well as many other members here) started out making similar mistakes. Just want you to know that this livestock mix in this relatively small tank will not work.

And finally....

[welcome]
Created a User Gallery yet? Go On!

Affordable Metal Halide Lamps: http://www.petpirates.com
MagnusApollo
Puffer Fry

Post by MagnusApollo »

The Overstocked issue has already been raised, so I'm not going to beat a dead horse.

You mix is really wrong added that with declining water conditions and I think you have your problem there. You are setting up another tank? then move half of the fish over to this other tank. That should have a positive effect to those fish that aren't do so well.
::Insert Clever Yet Witty Comment Here::
HapBapMan
Puffer Fry

Thanks For All Of Your Help - Over Populated Tank

Post by HapBapMan »

Thanks for all of the responses to my initial posting. I have received some good advice. I will stop from putting any more fish in. I hadn't added another yellow tang yet. I will wait until I get my other tank up and running. I guess I'm going to have to get my butt in gear and get some sand and water into it. Would it be okay to seed it with water from my 77 gallon aquarium to help get it cycling? I have been dragging my heels on setting it up. This is a good motivator for me.

Thanks again.
Rts
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Water from an established tank will not help cycle a tank. The bacteria you need lives in live rock.

Even if you split your inhabitants into 2 tanks, you still shouln't buy more fish. As you have read above, you already have enough fish to fill 455g.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"