Mixing Marine Puffers?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
cunniculus
Puffer Fry

Mixing Marine Puffers?

Post by cunniculus »

A friend of mine just bought a small stars and stripes puffer that he is planning on putting in his 150g. He already has a small dogface about the same size (about 3") in the same tank. I don't know anything about marine puffers but are these guys going to be alright together? I'd like to help him out before something horrible happens.

thanks
SaltwaterPufferGirl
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 2 dogface puffers, 1 porcupine puffer

Post by SaltwaterPufferGirl »

I think it all depends on the puffer, both of my dogface puffers are very shy, I have been told that if you do mix the puffers that you should get them about the same size. I have seen stars and stripes with a dogface puffer in lfs before for several weeks they were both small and didn't have any problems. Just make sure your friend keeps a close eye on them, I would interduce them to the tank on a day that you have hours to watch them to make sure they are going to be ok together. I would also feed them before you put them together then turn off some of the lights on the tank to darken it less stress for the new guy. That is what I always do when I add a new fish it seems to be working for me. hope this helps.
Smiles are free... so give them away...
stinky
Puffer Fry

Post by stinky »

I had the same combo, they lived in peice for a while. Then the stars and stripes thought it would be a good Idea to try to eat my dogface, I pesonnaly would keep the stars and stripes by himself. I ended up giving my puffer to someone . I consider the stars and stripes to be the clown triggers of puffers. you never know you could get lucky.
I would just get a dogface and a mappa. Those two fish really like each other.
fish rule!