New Puffer in the Aquarium... Need some questions answered.

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
marz
Puffer Fry

New Puffer in the Aquarium... Need some questions answered.

Post by marz »

8) Hi am new to here, and want to know how big a stars and stripes salt water puffer will get? The one we have right now is around 10 - 12 inches. I call him Chucky! But that is not his real name. He doesn't have one yet because he is new to our aquarium. His tank mates are an undulating trigger fish, Picasso trigger fish, a neon velvet damsel and blue damsel. The reason we bought such a big puffer was because he was a great eater. The last puffer we had refused to eat and wasted away. This one has a huge appetite. He even likes to be petted. We feed him pawns and brine shrimp. What else should we feed him? We had to move the live soft coral from the tank because he was eating that! Our tank is 90 US Gallons. The guy at the fish store said our tank was big enough for him. Is he telling the truth? I have a sixty gallon fresh water tank and was going to put an Oscar in it and the guys from the Oscar forum freaked about that.

Anyway thanks for your time if you respond to my questions.
:wink:
Keep it clean
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Welcome Marz!

We're still updating the PufferPedia with recommended tank sizes and that sort of thing, but for the Stars and Stripes puffer (hispidus), here's some basic info:

Max length 19" - recommend at least 6-7 ft tank - 180 gallons minimum - 240 gallons better - 300+ gallons best

So yes, 90 gallons would be a bit on the small size for one of these puffers. Pet stores often give out some really bad info, unfortunately.

There is an article in our library about the various foods you can feed your puffer, check it out.
monsterpuffer
Dwarf Puffer

Post by monsterpuffer »

You're right they are a voracious eater. I've only had mine for a few days, but I've also noticed that the amount of waste coming out of this fish is huge!

I've got about a dozen hermit crabs in there but I'm still looking at getting a litte hand-held batttery vacuum just to clean up the mess a little every day.

The tank is probably overloaded, so I would keep a sharp eye on the nitrates. A 90g for this puffer alone is kind of stretching it. If you don't have a good protein skimmer and a ton of live rock I would look into getting some. Also, try and find a clean up crew - hermits work for me just because he can't crush the shell.

MP
A man without data is just another man with an opinion.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

But he can certainly flip the crabs over & eat them! I had a giant red-legged that lasted a year with my 2 6" GSPs. One day, he was no more... Be prepared to have to restock your hermits occasionally.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"