Clownfish tankmakes for a marine GSP?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
GSPdragon
Dwarf Puffer

Clownfish tankmakes for a marine GSP?

Post by GSPdragon »

I know others here have kept maroon clownfish with a GSP... I was wondering if any of the others would do ok? Clarki? My GSP is only about 2-3", will be in full marine as of this weekend.... currently in a 50g but possibly upgrading to a 60-75... was originally planning on a single maroon with him, have an opportunity for a pair of clarki but think that might be to much fish for even a 75, or the pair might be to aggressive to house with a GSP?

Thanks for any opinions!
brian
Puffer Fry

Post by brian »

This is another 1 that all depends on the puffer not wanting to nip tails or eat the clown because there a pretty slow swimmer. I have seen it work out just fine in a friends tank so yes it is possible.
MagnusApollo
Puffer Fry

Post by MagnusApollo »

The problem here will not be the puffer but the maroon clown which is one of the more aggressive clownfish you can have. Very territorial and will most likely push the puffer away during feeding time. It takes a lot of attention to make sure the puffer will not be stressed and gets plenty of food. I have worked with quite a bit of people that had placed puffers in with clownfish and continually tell me there is no problems... this is based on the fact the clown doesn't have bites taken out of it.. only to have their GSP turn up dead due to stress or lack of food.

Maroons are pretty aggressive (one reason why they are harder to breed in captivity)
::Insert Clever Yet Witty Comment Here::
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Why are you pushing the GSP into SW so soon? Any reason for the rush?

I had a maroon w/mine & it ate the tails on both my puffers, down to a stub, within a week. Perculas were dead overnight. I had some sucess with a tomato clownfish. Just found it dead one day for no reason, after a couple of years.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"