Additions to a FOWLR set up???

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Additions to a FOWLR set up???

Post by JustinPSmith »

I'm looking for some additions to add to my FOWLR set up. I was hoping to add some stars but am not sure if they are safe around my GSP or what type to look for. Any ideas? Or possibly anything else to liven up a FOWLR set up! Its hard with a GSP because most tank mates are out...Unless someone has any ideas on tank mates that may be able to handle themselves around a GSP? I do have quite a few white legged hermit crabs which he bothered for a day or two but now just ignores (He realized that he cant get them out of their shells). Any Ideas on additions?
brian
Puffer Fry

Post by brian »

If your tank is 50 gallons and you have 1 GSP and "several" mollies u may have reached your max bio fish capacity. As for tank mates my 2 GSP lives with 2 Yellow Tail Damsels these were left over from a previous tank and had no were to go. If anything the Damsels pick on the puffers they can be mean when the puffers come near there rock they call home. I also keep about 10 different soft corals in this tank which really fills in the dead spots and gives it a great view. Of'course u try the corals at a risk puffers have been known to eat them , mine doesn't bother me.
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

Oh sorry...I moved the mollies. Just one GSP.
JustinPSmith
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by JustinPSmith »

What kinds of soft corals would you recommend? Ive heard some actually taste bad...
Amoore311
Puffer Fry

Post by Amoore311 »

Leather corals would probably be safest. I would still test it out with a small speciman first though.
29 Gallon

Penguin HOB, Tahitian Moon Sand, Lace Rock, Salinity 1.023.

Looking for stocking Ideas
brian
Puffer Fry

Post by brian »

I've got Xenia , Button polps , mushrooms and green star polp all these are really cheap corals. Find a reef club in your area and buy some frags should be able to get them for roughly $10 a piece and i have mine growing under normal output full spectrum lights and 1 atnic. They all seem to be doing great if you want to keep other corals u will have invest in a better light system.
brian
Puffer Fry

Post by brian »

Ohh just a warning if u think puffers are addictive wait till u start mesing with corals I've got a 350 gallon in the works just cause of these few corals i've gotten , very addicting hobby.