New Porc Issues

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
dnatkin
Puffer Fry

New Porc Issues

Post by dnatkin »

Got a new porc puffer... he's in a 75g tank with a few mates (2 tangs, couple of damsels). He hangs out at the top of the tank during the day - not much activity. Gets very active @ night but doesn't seem to be eating. It's been almost a week and I've added a dozen snails as a tempting treat but don't see any evidence of him eating them.

Any suggestions?

salinity is 1.021
pH is 8.2
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates are all 0

I've tried freeze dried krill - no interest. Chopped mussels - nothing. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
PetPirate
Gone Today, Here Tomorrow
My Puffers: 3x Tetraodon Nigroviridis in full marine

Post by PetPirate »

How are you measuring the specific gravity? It is a bit on the low side, and if your hydrometer is off, and acclimation was too short, it could cause initial problems.

More importantly, your tank is very overcrowded. I would hesitate to put a single tang in a 75G -- they need a lot of swimming space. Two tangs and a porc puffer is verging on folly. At the very least, your work will be cut out in order to keep this tank successfully.

Finally, how long has the porc been in there? Give him a few days to come round before offerinf too much food.
Created a User Gallery yet? Go On!

Affordable Metal Halide Lamps: http://www.petpirates.com
dnatkin
Puffer Fry

Post by dnatkin »

Thanks... I plan to put him in a 250g eventually that currently only has a snowflake moray and a couple of smaller fishes, but a lot of rock. I wanted to be able to keep an eye on him for a while in the 75g. He's been in the tank for 5 days, I've not seen him eat anything, but he doesn't look particularly skinny either. I was thinking about getting some ghost shrimp to tempt him.

I'm measuring the salinity with a typical instant ocean hydrometer.
PetPirate
Gone Today, Here Tomorrow
My Puffers: 3x Tetraodon Nigroviridis in full marine

Post by PetPirate »

You could try bringing up the slinity a bit more towards natural ocean levels.

But, more likely, the porc is stressed from all the new company.
Created a User Gallery yet? Go On!

Affordable Metal Halide Lamps: http://www.petpirates.com
gagned
Dwarf Puffer

Post by gagned »

My guess would be that it is stress related and it'll probably take him a little bit of time to get adjusted. How big is your porc?

You may also consider offering him some peas. My porc absolutely loves them, and maybe it'll help stimulate your porc into eating.

Good luck,

Dan
dnatkin
Puffer Fry

Post by dnatkin »

Thanks for the suggestions.. I rechecked the salinity and it was actually higher than 2 days ago - it's now 1.022. I'll try the peas tonight - frozen or unfrozen?

He's approx 3" long.
gagned
Dwarf Puffer

Post by gagned »

I buy frozen peas and defrost a few in water before dropping them in the tank. I've now got my GSP hooked on them too.

Dan
AK Grizz
Puffer Fry

Post by AK Grizz »

I have the same problem, but my puffer hangs out in a cave in the bottom of the tank. I have a 90 gallon tank with about 120# of sand and about 100# of rock. I only have a tang and a gobie for fish, lots of snails(he is eating them) and a hermit crab. I have only had him for a week or so now. His eyes seem a little cloudy, and it looked like he had sand in his eye yesterday. I did do a recent water change, and everything looks good, but my cat did fall in the water as it was mixing, do you think that could be a problem? He comes out after the lights go out also, could I have too much light? I have 220 watts of power compacts and a 250w metal halide. I have a lot of plant growth and kinda need a lot of light.