Pest anemone?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Steelgeek
Former Staff Member

Pest anemone?

Post by Steelgeek »

So I have a full SW tank, 1.025, with snails, hermit crabs, a dottyback and my 2" GSP, who doesn't bother any of the inverts for some reason.

(I had a much larger GSP who needed the salt, but he died when we had a power outage :cry: and I didnt see any reason to back down the salinity when the smaller gsp was doing so well )

Anyways, I just noticed what I believe to be asptasia or glass anemone on one my silk plants! Now since I have no live rock, coral, or lighting to support anything like that, I was just a tad surprised :shock: I assume it came in on the back of a snail or something.

I researched (thank you WWM!) them and found they are considered pests to reef tanks, but I dont have a reef biotope, just fish and artificial plants and decorations.
My question is, if I have no other corals, anemones or such, will this small (>1") anemone be a hazard to my much larger fish? Because, to tell the truth, I think its kinda cool that it just spawned naturally and I dont want to kill it if I don't have to.
The rare and elusive SteelGeek has been known to cause great damage to his environs...
cougarguy
Puffer Fry

Post by cougarguy »

No it shouldn't be a problem the reason they are a pest to reef tanks is because they will out compete the corals for light and they can clone and spawn pretty quickly. But in a fish only tank they might actually be considered benificial as they would help consume some of the nutrients in the water.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Mine stung/wiped out a whole colony of fantasticly-colored zoanthids (called pumpkins) & really cool-colored clove polyps (orange & green).
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"