What can I put in my marine tank with my GSP?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
ikarus
Puffer Fry

What can I put in my marine tank with my GSP?

Post by ikarus »

Hi, I have a 3 in. GSP named Brutus who is almost fully marine (I have been slowly adding marine salt over the past 5 months). My LFS told me that I will not be able to keep any kind of live coral in my tank once it is marine because it would need a special light. I've been browsing this site and I've found some people with corals and marine plants in their tanks. What kind would you recommend which is pretty easy to take care of, and what kind of equipment do I need to care for the plants?
puffergeek
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 7 Carinotetraodon travancoricus
1 Carinotetraodon irrubesco
1 Dichotomyctere nigroviridis
Location (country): US

Post by puffergeek »

First off, what size tank do you have?

On the lighting, I would recommend more than just standard florescent bulbs that come with most tanks for just about anything besides a FOWLR tank. Corals need more lighting and the right kind of lighting.

If you want soft corals, you can get away with a nice power compact fixture. Mushroom corals also do well with moderate lighting. If you want stonies, you are looking at much more powerful lighting and lots more money. Check out:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marcanopies.htm

There are tons more to read online and lots of good books on the subject.

That said, your puffer might nibble on anything you put in that tank. Puffers and reefy stuff don't mix well. My lined puffer nibbles on xenia, but leaves mushrooms alone.

If you want to try corals with a puffer, you might put small frags in with him and see what he will nibble and what he will leave alone. Personally, I plan to keep my GSP and ceylon in FOWLR tanks without any corals... although I might put something in a refugium for one of those tanks when I get around to really upgrading them.
ikarus
Puffer Fry

Post by ikarus »

hi puffergeek,

i have a 20G eclipse system 1 tank. within the next year when i move to a bigger place i plan on upgrading to a 50G but space is limited in new york! i think it came with a standard florescent bulb. at least it looks like it. a mushroom coral sounds enticing! btw, what is a "FOWLR"? i see it a lot and have no idea what it means. great idea to put a small frag in the tank! thanks for your advice :D
sassiegemstone
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by sassiegemstone »

I think FOWLR means a Fish Only Tank with Live Rock.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I think that the puffer alone is quite enough bioload for that tank. After the upgrade to can try some inverts if you wish and you fish allows.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
The Fisherman
Fahaka Puffer

Post by The Fisherman »

RTR wrote:I think that the puffer alone is quite enough bioload for that tank. After the upgrade to can try some inverts if you wish and you fish allows.
I agree with RTR on this one.

For corals, I would just buy a better light. I have standard flourescent, and I am succesfully keeping 1 coral. Most likely since it was tank-raised, it is used to less light and so I am able to get away with it. It is a toadstool.

As far as puffers and corals, it is a gamble. Certain puffers will eat certain corals. One puffer might allow one coral, while another wont. My GSP (Mickey) is really nice, he doesnt eat corals, although he does nip at the candy cane once and a while. I don't expect him to stay as nice as he gets older though, since he is still young.

So, I reccomend just buying a few cheaper frags and see what he will allow.
-John