why no u.s.-puffs?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Martin Hi.
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon erythrotaenia

why no u.s.-puffs?

Post by Martin Hi. »

hi,
a question i always wanted to ask: why don´t all you us-users ever keep those most beautiful us-puffers like for example all the small and medium-sized spoeroides-species? if i lived in your country that would have been my first act...!
here in northern europe there is no chance to find puffers in the sea but i´m planning for a long time now to catch some in portugal/spain, while it could be a little difficult to import them. but in the us...?
martin
ps: sorry for my bad english!
Phaedrus
Former Staff Member

Post by Phaedrus »

I think in some states it is illegal to keep caught fish, and transporting them across state borders is also tricky. May be wrong there. They are also only available in local areas where you can catch them yourself, as there aren't any available in the commercial trade.
Martin Hi.
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Martin Hi. »

hi,
i understand that. but there should be some people here that live in those states where it is allowed to keep and so they don`t have to get them over state-borders and where the puffers originally live. also i think it should not be a great problem to catch some, isn't`t it?
martin
Rusty
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: A modestus
x2 C travancoricus
Location (country): USA

Post by Rusty »

what puffers im assuming he is talking to saltwater puffs in places like florida ? I am not aware of any us native freshwater species. could you clarify for me ?
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.
Rusty
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

The only one I know if is Spoeroides nephelus aka Southern Puffer, which is a marine puffer from around Florida. Never heard of any other US puffers.
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
Phaedrus
Former Staff Member

Post by Phaedrus »

I know one of our Mentor members ChesapeakeSwellfish has caught some. See his post here: http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/vie ... ght=#15606

Maybe he can chime in with his experiences in local puffer fish.
Martin Hi.
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Martin Hi. »

oops?
at fishbase you will find this species listed for the u.s. and some more:
Tetraodontiformes Tetraodontidae
(Puffers) Lagocephalus laevigatus native Smooth puffer Smooth puffer
(Puffers) Lagocephalus lagocephalus lagocephalus native Oceanic puffer Oceanic puffer
(Puffers) Sphoeroides annulatus native Bullseye puffer Bullseye puffer
(Puffers) Sphoeroides dorsalis native Marbled puffer Marbled puffer
(Puffers) Sphoeroides lispus native Naked puffer
(Puffers) Sphoeroides lobatus native Longnose puffer Longnose puffer
(Puffers) Sphoeroides maculatus native Northern puffer Northern puffer
(Puffers) Sphoeroides nephelus native Southern puffer Southern puffer
(Puffers) Sphoeroides pachygaster native Blunthead puffer Blunthead puffer
(Puffers) Sphoeroides parvus native Least puffer Least puffer
(Puffers) Sphoeroides spengleri native Bandtail puffer Bandtail puffer
(Puffers) Sphoeroides testudineus native Checkered puffer Checkered puffer
martin
ps: of course i´m only talking about seawaterspecies
sassiegemstone
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by sassiegemstone »

Boxermom wrote:The only one I know if is Spoeroides nephelus aka Southern Puffer, which is a marine puffer from around Florida. Never heard of any other US puffers.
I've caught a few of them while I've been fishing. They got pretty emerald green eyes.

I wish I knew if they could survive in an aquarium and how big I would need.
If I could just save one of these, it would make me feel so good. Most of them are left on shore to die
sassiegemstone
Figure 8 Puffer

Re: why no u.s.-puffs?

Post by sassiegemstone »

Martin Hi. wrote:hi,
a question i always wanted to ask: why don´t all you us-users ever keep those most beautiful us-puffers like for example all the small and medium-sized spoeroides-species? if i lived in your country that would have been my first act...!
here in northern Europe there is no chance to find puffers in the sea but i´m planning for a long time now to catch some in Portugal/Spain, while it could be a little difficult to import them. but in the us...?
martin
ps: sorry for my bad english!
I have one that was caught in the local brackish waters with a cast net. It is a Spiny Boxfish. Some fish are illegal to keep but if you don't get caught, it can't hurt. I live in NE Florida.
Puffer Queen
Mentor

Post by Puffer Queen »

I have caught (with licensed collector) in the Florida Keys - diodon holocanthus, diodon hystrix, chilomycterus atringa and chilomycterus schoepfi and have them in my systems.
Kelly
monsterpuffer
Dwarf Puffer

Post by monsterpuffer »

I've heard of people catching them here in Charleston, SC and taking them home. Its one of the Diodon species similar to a porc.

MP
A man without data is just another man with an opinion.
sassiegemstone
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by sassiegemstone »

Puffer Queen wrote:I have caught (with licensed collector) in the Florida Keys - diodon holocanthus, diodon hystrix, chilomycterus atringa and chilomycterus schoepfi and have them in my systems.
Any additional advice on the chilomycterus schoepfi you can give me? Does yours have like a black stripe down its eyes? Mine does. I called the Florida Game Warden and it is not illegal to catch one puffer and take it home but if you are going to collect several then you have to have a license of some sort.

When my hubby caught mine there was a game warden there and he checked with him first.
Shayla
Puffer Fry

Re: why no u.s.-puffs?

Post by Shayla »

I can't even begin to guess what species it was (and it was more years than I care to count ago), but my Marine Bio HS class was seining in Jamaica Bay at the end of the summer (Gulf Stream time) and I ended up with this little fish cupped in my hands that, at the time, I thought spit up on me, it happened so fast and then was all over. Puff, white, puff, wee tiny fish again, jump and gone before I could even react. Now I know more, I'm glad to say it was still immersed when it puffed, and I'm glad to recall that it definitely unpuffed... I've no clue what it actually was, other than it was very small (I remember it as about the size of my Valentini, which is currently about 5-1/2 cm), sort of tan-ish, and obviously white bellied. I didn't have much time to get a good look at it before it was gone.

You could feel the temperature difference of the water it came in on -- ankles were cold, hips were cold, knees were quite warm (I remember hoping it found its way back to warm water again)... It definitely wasn't a fish I'd have expected to see in the salt marsh waters of New York City.

And yes, in case you're wondering, that little fish all those years ago is the reason I'm rather obsessed today.
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Post by Nick »

Thats would have to be the northern puffer, back many years ago they were a common food fish, and you could catch them all over long island. They're rare now, but not endangered as far as I know.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
Apocalyptictoast
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Apocalyptictoast »

The aquatic science classes at my school have caught puffers ( don't know what species ) in some marshes around Galveston.