Puffer Anxiety!

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
kddid
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Puffer Anxiety!

Post by kddid »

I am returning to the marine tank world after an absence of more than 10 years. I used to have seven tanks, including various sized reef tanks. I purchased a Valentini Puffer yesterday and spent most of last night fretting over him. He acclimated just fine, ate fine with the other fish. He didn't seem the least bit interested in my shrimp, snails or hermits. Tucked him in and lights out. Checked on him several times. What's he doing hanging onto the intake on the powerhead? He looks up at me with a look like "Stop bothering me lady and go to sleep!"

This morning he detached himself from his new friend the powerhead and ate with the rest of the fish. I noticed that some of my snails were just shells. That's happened before with the hermits eating the snails and taking their shells. Gave him the benefit of the doubt until I saw him going after the Nassarius and ripping his head out of the shell, piece by piece. Could he really have decimated three or four snails overnight? He seems to eat anything and everything. The hermits are hiding. The snails have gone underground. But he is so darn cute, can't be mad at him.

How do I keep him fed well enough to avoid teeth surgery? What do you feed your Valentini?
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Puffer Anxiety!

Post by bertie 83 »

Hi and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately if your puffer has a taste for snails this will likely continue, they always want to eat. You could add tons of shells to distract him slightly but your population of snails will still likely decrease. Don't let this put you off though as they are full of personality and very rewarding to keep
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Re: Puffer Anxiety!

Post by Hillehaus »

If he isn't the one feasting on your snails, I guarantee you it is next in line for the feast. I've noticed that my snails have actually changed their schedule. The ones my valentini hasn't eaten now only come out when the lights go out.

Side note, mine sleeps in all sorts of weird positions and places. That's pretty normal.

I feed mine a variety of Mysis shrimp, black worms, and store bought (raw) mussels and clams. That seems to be enough. Plus, I don't know about yours but, mine is constantly roving over my live rock picking off critters. I think the rock on tooth contact is what keeps the teeth worn down.