Starting up new tank for my GSPs

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: GSP: Puff Diddy
GSP: Julia *RIP*
GSP: Nan
2 ocellaris clowns (Fred & Ginger), Yellow Watchman goby (Snape) & fine-striped pistol shrimp (Blondie), lawnmower blenny (Lennie *RIP*), mandarin (Po), tailspot blenny (Basil), longnose hawkfish (Fergus), flame hawkfish (Carol), fromia (Peach), Springeri damsel (Neil)

CUC: tuxedo urchin (Spike), electric blue hermit (Hagrid), 3 turbo snails, turban snail, orange lip conch (Ron), 5 scarlet leg hermits, purple acro crab (Spot)*RIP*.
Location (country): Canada (Vancouver)

Starting up new tank for my GSPs

Post by Maggiec »

Ok, so I got my early Christmas present from my husband (thanks to some very obvious hinting). After a lot of hunting around on CL, this is what I got:

- 70 Gallon Aquarium (48"x18"x20")
- Oak Stand
- undergravel filter
- Aqua Clear 110 power filter.
- 2 Optima air pumps
- modular LED Aquarium Light.
- True Temp heater.
- Gravel, Decorative Rock, Driftwood and plastic Plants

I've been reading tons on the web, as well as a thread here (Yoshi) that covered a lot of starting a new tank. But there is so much conflicting info so I hope you all can help walk me thru this. There is a store near me (http://www.jlaquatics.com) - went in there & was so intimated by all the stuff I saw. Like a science lab! Really cool stuff there though. The variety/prices of coral, etc blew me away but I don't think I'll ever step into that abyss :) I'll admire from the sidelines, haha.

Anyway, I'm making a list of the stuff I need to add before starting this thing up. My GSPs are currently in a brackish tank at 1.05 salinity. They're about 2" long. I'm thinking of setting up the new tank to a stable environment & then moving them over with slow-drip acclimation rather than going thru raising the salinity of their brackish tank. Just seemed easier this way, am I correct?

The undergravel filter system I'm throwing out. I think I can use a couple of the fake caves & rock pieces. I believe driftwood is a no-no for SW? Too bad as they are really nice pieces.
Here are my questions so far:

- What about the other stuff? Will the Aqua Clear be useful? Should I still buy a couple of power heads? Are Koralias good and what model should I get?
- How much sand should I buy? Aragonite is the choice I believe?
- J&L sells "artificial" live rock. I looked at them & they seem too uniform in shape & colour. I'll check out CL too as so much more affordable
- I'm a bit confused by the water issue (reading the Yoshi thread) with needing to buy water. I'm from Vancouver, Canada, and our tap water is completely drinkable. I plan to use Prime & Instant Ocean with tap water as I have been doing for their brackish set up. Hope this is ok

So, should I source my LR first? Mix water, put in live rock, add sand? or in a different order?

I'm also researching a protein skimmer but I think this is not an immediate thing? I'd like to get a breather after the initial expense if possible. I really don't want to do a sump setup and hope that I am correct in my research that this should be ok with a FOWLR tank of my size. Suggestions for a hang on back skimmer?

Ack, I'm so nervous. It's funny in a way that I'm going into all this for two fish that cost $9 each. But I am smitten
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer
2 ocellaris clowns (Fred & Ginger), Yellow Watchman goby (Snape) & fine-striped pistol shrimp (Blondie), lawnmower blenny (Lennie *RIP*), mandarin (Po), tailspot blenny (Basil), longnose hawkfish (Fergus), flame hawkfish (Carol), fromia (Peach), Springeri damsel (Neil)

CUC: tuxedo urchin (Spike), electric blue hermit (Hagrid), 3 turbo snails, turban snail, orange lip conch (Ron), 5 scarlet leg hermits, purple acro crab (Spot)*RIP*.

Re: Starting up new tank for my GSPs

Post by Maggiec »

Hi again, and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you across the border :)

So after further reading, I think I need to get some powerheads before I can start but I'm not sure how strong of a current I need. Recommendations are so varied. I think I should get these in tank before I get LR, right? Would a Koralia 1050 be about right or too much flow? Or will 2 smaller ones work better. I have 2 sources for live rock in established setups on Craigslist that I will be checking out this weekend.

I think I can use the Aquaclear 110 that came with the tank. Some people even convert these to refugiums? That seems a bit complicated for me right now, but I wonder if I can use the Aquaclear power filter & then add skimmer later (like after Christmas madness).

Oh, also wondering about sand. Is a fine sand best?

Thanks for any info, suggestions!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I will write you a detailed response after Thanksgiving dinner. :)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Maggiec »

Oh of course! :D I was being selfish since I already had my Thanksgiving dinner last month haha
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I thought I'd never fall into the reefkeeper's abyss, until I started keeping GSPs & added my 1st coral. Heck--before that, I refused to even walk down the SW isles of LFS & I was in the retail aquarium business for 8 years!

Eventually I fell hard:

Soooooo... What you need is aragonite sand substrate, live rock (1 1/2-2lbs per gal) & a protein skimmer. If you're going full SW, playsand will do. Powerheads to move the water around. You could use the Aquaclear for that but take out the sponge, unless you plan on rinsing it often. I spent tons on Korilias & then just kept breaking.

You'll also need a bucket (or Brute can) to premix salt, so you'll need a powerhead for that, too. Also, a refractometer with calibration solution. My hubby set up a mixing station with a valves, that pumped the SW up from the basement right into the tanks, so no need for lugging buckets.

A RODI system would be fantastic, to help prevent algae from being a problem. I know this all seems like a lot but once you get everything you need for this, then all you need to do is 30% WC every 3 weeks, rather than 50% weekly.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Maggiec »

Wow...seeing your amazing tank & water system makes me even more nervous! Seems so far from where I am...

I stayed up late into the wee hours googling about water and - I know this is a very contentious issue - I think I will do without RODI at this time. Our water here in Vancouver might be the best in N.America and many local hobbyists use tap water, or just the DI and not RO. Or some use RODI for water changes but top off with tap water. TDS measures very low. The only thing added to our water is a bit of chlorine and apparently even our local aquarium does not bother with it. The one thing that really bothers me is how much water I will be wasting in the process. Our water here is pristine, but we heavily campaign for water conservation, and even green lawns in the summer are frowned on. I will keep researching this though, and show your setup to my husband. (He is pretty handy but I don't know how far he's willing to indulge me. This project is getting more and more complicated, haha)

Just one of the threads I read: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/309957-s ... f-the-tap/

What about those Optima air pumps that came with the tank - chuck 'em?

What is the safest way to transport live rock home? If I buy from these guys, they are only about 15 mins drive away.

Thanks so much for your info. Always a lot of food for thought
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I see no reason for using the air pumps. Bubbles breaking the surface of the water will only cause a very messy salt spray everywhere. LR can be transferred with wet newspaper over it. You will ALWAYS experience some die off, no matter how it is transported. Be sure it comes from a long-established, pest-free tank, with healthy inhabitants.

Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Maggiec »

This fellow says he's had the tank for 13 years & he's quitting the hobby (I got the tank from an older fellow too). There are some inhabitants but I fear they would just be puffer food. I remember from one of the other posts here that I should give it a smell test? :) He said if I took all the rock (55lbs) he would give me a couple of hairy mushrooms that are attached to rock but I don't want to kill them if my system won't sustain them. Thoughts?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

If you are moving established LR into a tank set up for SW, the shrooms should be OK.

Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Maggiec »

So first guy had dud rocks. They were completely white & showed no signs of life. I think he bought them at the garden centre last week :D The other fellow was great. He's had his tank over ten years. He had it on CL for 2.50/lb but agreed to let me have all 55lbs for $100. There's a sizeable colony of hairy mushrooms included, and I saw a little starfish too.

Getting excited. I'll see if I can get them next week
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Fantastic price!

Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Post by Hillehaus »

Congratulations on that live rock, that is a steal!!! I preach eBay and Craigslist shopping for tank setups. Take full advantage of it and you will save a lot of money.

Saltwater is confusing at first. There is a lot of information out there that indeed directly conflicts with what you just read 2 min ago.

My water is city water and has trace phosphates and low level nitrates in it (you should be able to call your local water source and get a report). I think my TDS from the tap is 50-75? Something like that. Not the worst, but, it will grow a lot of algae due to the phosphates. The nitrates are a non-issue because my tank cycles them fast. For this reason, I went with a cheap 4 stage RODI system I got on amazon for like $75. I'd say try your tap. Also, waste water from the RODI system can be repurposed. Do you garden? Use it to water your plants. Dump it in your washer to wash your cold cycle clothes in.

Like PP said, wrap up your live rock in moist newspaper. I'd add that you should throw it in an empty cooler and shut the lid. For a 15 min drive, depending on the temperature, I doubt you'll have much of a die off but, there will be some.

As for a skimmer, just make sure you have a skimmer rated a little higher than your tank. Also buy these used if you can. I have a CPR BakPak and an AquaC Remora. Both work fine. I think the CPR works a little better (barely noticeable) but, seemed to be louder than the AquaC. I'm currently using the Aqua C because for my purposes it has a better footprint. I've heard really good things about Reef Octopus HOBs but they seem to me more expensive.
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Maggiec »

Thanks! I've been lucky with CL so far, that's for sure. The tank purchase was pretty good too - the previous owner was meticulous and everything was so clean, neatly packed up, with original boxes, etc. I've filled the tank 2/3 full and it's holding water, yay. I thought I'd put in the LR first to allow for displacement before topping up.

I'm hoping everything I've read about Vancouver water is true. I've asked several local hobbyists and they just use tap water, including the person selling me the LR. I'll keep an open mind on this issue for sure.

I'm leaning towards the Remora too, because of the small footprint. I don't have a ton of space behind the tank, so the compact design appeals to me. Also, I understand the newer feature protects against flooding since it overflows back into the tank. I wonder if it's best to buy a new one thru Amazon though. I'd hate for it to malfunction :(
No sales during Black Friday for it. Rats.

Is it a good idea to throw a charcoal filter into the Aqua Clear at this point?

Thanks!
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Post by Hillehaus »

I'd check for a used one. Typically what needs to be replaced are the pumps that make the bubbles. They run about $30 to replace. So if you can find a good body, or outside pieces of the skimmer, and replace the pump for cheaper than a new one, it's worth considering.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

+1 to craigslist! Got a 55 and stand and lots of crushed coral for only $75 :) it will become my gsp and Toby tank within a few weeks
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR