Puffer newb representin ' slash hear my zoa murder story

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
BSPFreak
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Puffer newb representin ' slash hear my zoa murder story

Post by BSPFreak »

Hi there!

So quick(sorta) background. Total newb to saltwater. 72 gallon w/ 30 sump and Aqua C urchin skimmer, marine current orbit lights, mostly FOWLR, probably 150 lbs of liverock...

current livestock includes (In order of obtainment)
2 damsels, a yellowtail and an azure
A melanarus wrasse
A diamond watchman goby
The pretty boy, my brand new Blue Spotted Puffer.

So, 2 weeks ago, I got a regular "spotted puffer" from Hawaii, the Canthigaster jactator. We had originally ordered / requested the BLUE spotted puffer, but me and my gf are newbs to this, so we thought when it came in, and it was small, maybe it was a baby and would get the stripes / markings of the BSP later. Yeah no we finally said no, this is just a c. jactator, not a c. solandri.

We specifically wanted the BSP because a) we liked the colors / details more, and b) it fit my regional theme for tank, Fiji / Vanuatu fish (in theory, you could go on a dive and see all the fish in my tank in the same dive)

A few days after I got the c. jactator, I Got some xenia, and a tiny frag (4 heads) of zoas, as a newb "water test" from my local reefkeeper association.

That hawaiin puffy sob savaged those poor zoas over the course of two weeks. We ended up replacing him because we really wanted the c. solandri, and not specifically because he is a zoa murdering jerk, but that didn't help him?

The c. jactator does have *the* most adorable eyes though. Like, unfairly cute.

So. While we are on the subject of puffers, someone said they are SUPER SMART, and "more like a dog, than a fish" and you can teach them tricks?

The main "Trick" they mentioned was, I can train it to NOT eat corals / CUC by "spanking" it with a spatula?

1. is there any truth to the spank-training? lol
2. can I actually teach this thing any 'tricks' ?

Thank you all, and long live your puffers, other fish, and like, idk, anything you want to live long I guess. I'm a nice guy, why not.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Puffer newb representin ' slash hear my zoa murder story

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
I know you're not posting on a puffer forum suggesting spanking one, right????? :whip:
For the most part, puffers & corals to NOT mix. so you'd be best to stick with ones that generally taste bad, like the xenia & leathers. I've never taught mine tricks & I wouldn't expect the smaller ones to be as smart as the larger species. I know you can do things like tap on the corner of the tank at feeding time & they'll come to that corner to eat but so will a guppy.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
BSPFreak
Puffer Fry

Post by BSPFreak »

In my defense, I asked about the spanking before I ever bought a spatula for it, LOLZ.

How dare you infer my puffer is less intelligent because he's a small toby puffer though. Look at Tyrion Lannister! And that's what my puffer will be.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP

Post by Welch4 »

I second not spanking a puffer. +1 to sticking with bad tasting corals as well. Mine has seemed to tolerate a wide range of corals. However given the long lifespan 15+ years. I have made myself OK with coming home one day to find a very fat and happy puff and no corals.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Look at Tyrion Lannister!
Yes, one tough lil guy!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"