Newbie questions

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Lili
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Newbie questions

Post by Lili »

Hi everyone! I am very excited to be hear and hope to get to know everyone. I don't have an aquarium yet however I am planning on getting one within the next 2 weeks. My birthday was on the 1st and my son's is on the 22nd. We are combining our birthday gifts and getting a big aquarium together. I will be the person taking care of it. Anyways my son is wanting a Porcupine Puffer. And I am not going to lie I really like the idea. I have spoken to a fish store and what I am reading and what the fish store is telling me are conflicting. The fish store said I would need at least a 100 gallon tank. I am seeing on line I could need up to a 120-180 gallon tank? Also The fish store told me they can be housed with other fish. I have read that you can keep them with other fish. But on the flip side I have read that they aren't a good fish to keep with other fish. If they can be kept with other fish what would you suggest? I am not planning on having coral or a reef so I am not to concerned with the problems that could arise there. The one last thing I am worried about is that I was told it was ok to put a Porcupine Puffer fish into an aquarium right after it has cycled successfully. Is that correct? or was I given the wrong information.

On a side note I was told by someone that they started a snail tank and have had it for years. They use it as a main source of food for there freshwater puffer. Is this something I could do myself? I am not sure if she is doing things right or if this isn't good for them. But her puffer looks happy and healthy. If this would work could I do this with fresh water snails? and just throw the snail in when I know he/she will eat it? or would I have to do saltwater snails? if I would need to do salt water snails do they reproduce quickly like some fresh water species? Sorry for so many questions!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Newbie questions

Post by Pufferpunk »

Best thing I can ever teach you here is to never listen to a pet store employee! The most useful info you'll ever find is right here.

There are so many foods your puffer can eat, I'm not sure you need a snail tank.

You should spend a lot of time doing research on how to set up a SW tank. Are you getting one that is reef ready? That means it has an overflow & is drilled for a sump. You're going to need live rock at 1 1/2-2lbs/gal. And a good protein skimmer.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Lili
Puffer Fry

Post by Lili »

Pufferpunk wrote:Best thing I can ever teach you here is to never listen to a pet store employee! The most useful info you'll ever find is right here.

There are so many foods your puffer can eat, I'm not sure you need a snail tank.

You should spend a lot of time doing research on how to set up a SW tank. Are you getting one that is reef ready? That means it has an overflow & is drilled for a sump. You're going to need live rock at 1 1/2-2lbs/gal. And a good protein skimmer.
I knew about the protein skimmer but the pet store (I know now not to listen to them now) Said I would not need live rock?
Lili
Puffer Fry

Post by Lili »

Ok I have been doing some research and have found several aquariums that are for saltwater that are not drilled. Is one better then the other?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Drilled lets you add a sump, where you can add all your filtration, heater, refugium.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP

Post by Welch4 »

Welcome to the forum! Great that you found us. I agree with PP to not take a lfs store employees advice as gospel. I personally would recommend a 150g or larger for just this gorgeous puffer. Again +1 to PP questions about a reef ready tank. Having a sump underneath the tank let's you house your equipment out of site. Live rock is vital for salt water filtration. For the last part yes you can add a puffer once you are absolutely sure your tank is cycled. If you can list out everything you are planning on getting for equipment and all of the great members here can put in advice.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Welcome to the group of porky fans! I'd love to get a tank big enough for one...
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR