valentini puffer

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): USA

valentini puffer

Post by Gooburz »

So it has been a very long time since I've been on here. After losing my 37 gallon tank due to a defect in the tank and I lose my Figure 8's I gave up for a bit. I took a step back from puffers and went with a full marine coral tank. Currently running a 40 breeder with multiple corals, skunk shrimp, banded starfish that hides all the time, clownfish, starry blenny, and royal gramma. I'd love to get a valentini puffer because of their size would do fine in a 40 breeder. Currently deployed with the Navy which sucks I wana go home already haha.

Concerns with getting a valentini is him destroying my snail clean up crew or are they not as bad about that as other species? Do they have a beak that grows out fast like many other species? Would he eventually go after my cleaner shrimp (skunk shrimp), it is a decent size and can move fairly quickly. Would he destroy any of my corals? Would they go after a claim if it was in the tank, Blue Maxima to be exact.

Filtration isn't a concern, I run an ESHOPPS PSK-100 HOB skimmer, good up to 100 gal and it is a beast. 10 gallon water changes weekly with RO/DI water and Red Sea Coral Pro salt.

After I'm home I will be upgrading to the Deep Blue 80 gallon frag tank/breeder. See below for current pics of my tank.
itlagswrx
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer (Pod)
Leopard Toby Puffer (Igor)
Location (country): Sonoran Desert

Re: valentini puffer

Post by itlagswrx »

I was going to get a Valentini, and I am in the same boat as you as far as worrying about CUC and corals. From the info I found, most will destroy your CUC and are not reef safe. I decided not to get one based on that information.
TheStig
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: DP
Location (country): USA

Post by TheStig »

Click on the library. It is a good source of info for puffer species:

ug.php/v/PufferPedia/
10 gallon: 1 dwarf puffer, 3 Otos, 1 amano shrimp

Don't let your wet friend suffer - PufferPunk
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Mine doesn't bother my hermits at all, but she did eat all my barnacles and feather worms before I moved her :(
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Of all marine puffers, I found the Val to be the most reef safe.
But you can never really trust a puffer... ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"